Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Ah, fair enough. Not confidence-inspiring though, when you're on a super-tight budget. Would mean shipping the frame to them first to get an estimate (so that's £50) before we're even talking about getting paint tins out.
Hmm. Maybe back to rattle cans then.

edit *** Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a lovely thread with all my negativity ****

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

There is a price list on their site Richard so you do know how much it will cost. I have been looking at repainting my Jack Taylor and it has double box lining, single colour, I will supply decals etc and the price is all there to see. The only thing I have to check with Donald is the rear rack which was made and painted with the frame so I will need that painted too. Give him a ring and tell him what you have and need and he will give you a price there and then, no hidden extras.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 pm 
gold | rider | rBoTM
gold | rider | rBoTM

richardshill wrote:
Ah, fair enough. Not confidence-inspiring though, when you're on a super-tight budget. Would mean shipping the frame to them first to get an estimate (so that's £50) before we're even talking about getting paint tins out.
Hmm. Maybe back to rattle cans then.

edit *** Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a lovely thread with all my negativity ****

Do it yourself, Send It Now, £11.35 to send the frameset off
Like I did

Mike

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:04 am 
Retro Guru

Thanks all.
Again, sorry to be an old moaner.
Was having a really bad day.
Happy holidays everyone :-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

What a fantastic looking bike! Brilliant transformation from an old frame to this. Flambouyant colours certainly work well and lug lining provides a lovely extra detail. A pleasure to see such a good job done, even more so that it’s a Bob Jackson.

The quality of BJ’s work and finish is superb. Don’t know how their costs compare, because haven’t used anyone else for many years, but they certainly appear competitive in terms of price. When they replaced a head tube for me this autumn looks like the new work was reamed before painting, and the fork crown race was cut after painting. I was quoted £30 + from LBS to face BB and head tube, so not a lot if I have to do it (just haven’t got round to rebuilding yet). All the threads were clean, and/or had new bolts in (bottle cage threads, rear drop out adjusters, seat tube, etc) – I was very happy with this quality of finish.

Having said that, another frame ‘arrived’ before I could put the BJ 731 os back together and, for some inexplicable reason, another one is now on it’s way from France so may be a while before my BJ gets an outing again. The thread for my BJ is lower down the page in case anyone interested.

Good luck with your BJ.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:12 am 
Retro Guru

Hi Mike
Very classy bike and a great thread

I really like the choice of handlebar nice sweep I am a big fan of the deep cinelli handlebars but these are much nicer in my opinion

Pat

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 am 
gold | rider | rBoTM
gold | rider | rBoTM

cloonaghpat wrote:
Hi Mike
Very classy bike and a great thread

I really like the choice of handlebar nice sweep I am a big fan of the deep cinelli handlebars but these are much nicer in my opinion

Pat

Thanks Pat,

Looking forward to some nice dry days to bring it out! The 64s are not my usual preference, having big hands means 66s are what I normally look for. But I like these

Mike

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm 
Retro Guru

Mike Muz 67 wrote:
Finished today, I couldn't be bothered waiting for white gear cable, so I used black. Hope you like the finished bike! I do.

ImageIMG_1778 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1777 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1779 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Mike

have you removed the pictures mike ? the link isnt working for me :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19