1986 Bob Jackson 531c, finished ! !

Re: Re:

Johnboy":35g66zvb said:
I wonder who that is, a seeded rider if his number is anything to go by

Alf Engers, Mike.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alf_Engers

Cheers Jon! Bloody hell, first rider under 50mins in a 25. In 1978! I don't think many riders can get under that now, even with the latest technology!
No doubt I'll see you out and about on my shiny new bike soon! :xmas-wink:

Mike

Re: 1986 Bob Jackson 531c, nearly finished ! !

It's strange about the brake being on the other side.
My Jack Taylor has/had the front cable entry on the left , like Alf Engers above, and the rear on the right, with the cable guides running under the right hand side of the top tube. When I looked into it, only after discovering I couldn't just swap over my Dura Ace 7400's for the no name sidepulls that were on it, I read an interview somewhere with Jack Taylor about this and he said something along the lines of he would always ask when building a frame as often people had the gear already waiting to go on the frame and some often had these style brakes, so would build to suite. That's why, I assume, Taylors can come either way. The only problem swapping it round is that the rear can look a bit ugly with the cable going round the seat tube. It was also a good enough excuse to get some Mafac racers . Glass half full and all that ;)
Look forward to seeing this one out and about, which wont be long judging by the speed of the build so far.

Jamie

great job Mike! I like it a lot. But that seatpost is way too long, I can swap you it for a standard length 3ttt :LOL:

And where did you get the tyres from?

Re:

I stand by my original comment (page 4... like you care.. :) ) though. That frame is well 'gappy' by mid '80s standards, or even by mid '70s standards, come to that, for a race bike. Interesting that Jamie mentioned Jack Taylor, who coincidentally didn't have much time for 'close clearances', iirc.

It looks great Mike, really special.
I am sure it will ride as stunning as it looks. Make sure to let us know your thoughts once you get out on it.
I didn't notice the black gear cable until you mentioned it :)

Jamie

foz":yoznupd0 said:
great job Mike! I like it a lot. But that seatpost is way too long, I can swap you it for a standard length 3ttt :LOL:

And where did you get the tyres from?

Nice try mate!
torqueless":yoznupd0 said:
I stand by my original comment (page 4... like you care.. :) ) though. That frame is well 'gappy' by mid '80s standards, or even by mid '70s standards, come to that, for a race bike. Interesting that Jamie mentioned Jack Taylor, who coincidentally didn't have much time for 'close clearances', iirc.

Just going by what Donald at the factory told me.

Jamiedyer":yoznupd0 said:
It looks great Mike, really special.
I am sure it will ride as stunning as it looks. Make sure to let us know your thoughts once you get out on it.
I didn't notice the black gear cable until you mentioned it :)

Jamie

Cheers mate! I did have a tentative ride to show it off to my friends at the lbs this afternoon. There's a double clicking that I think is coming from the bb. Only when I pedal. Not sure what that is yet, certainly not the fm touching the crank. Other than that, I really like it. Toe clips are tricky to get used to. As I'm used to just twisting my foot out with clipless. The groove in the shoe plates is quite deep too, which isn't helping. But I'll persevere

Mike

Re:

Phew, that's a relief! :xmas-big-grin: :xmas-big-grin: :xmas-big-grin:

Back