1996 KLEIN Quantum Race road / speedbike project new build

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Hello everyone! This is my first post! Aloha from middle/northern Germany! I am looking forward to reading this Forum and showing you some of my stuff.

First of all, please don`t be scared! And please don`t throw tomatoes. In my recent project, I converted a beautiful 1996 KLEIN Quantum Race to a Speedbike which will serve me as kind of my "everyday" bike.

In my defence: Currently, I am owning several roadbikes from a 1984 Colnago Super, 1985 Pinarello Montello over to a 2010 Storck Scenario to 3 KLEIN Quantum (2 x Quantum Pro, 1x Quantum Race) and have been riding classical road handlebars for the last 8 years. Just for fun - as a hobby! No hard or regular sport workouts with them. Now, it was time for some variety - and a Speedbike.

KLEIN has always been one of my all time favorite brands and in the future I will sell some older stuff to concentrate more on the Quantum Models (1993-1997 only!) and try to find more of them for my collection.

In my following posts, I will show you my other projects such as the KLEIN Quantum Pro bike(s), since this is a retro forum.

Components list:

Frame: (May 1996) KLEIN Quantum Race
Color: Carribbean Linear Fade
Seat: Flite Titanium (1995)
Seatpost: TUNE "Starkes Stück" 31.6mm
Stem: TUNE "Geiles Teil"
Handlebar: Standard black elox riser bar
Grips: Ritchey Pro rubber grips
Shifters: Shimano XTR STM-952 9-speed brake/STI shifters (1999)
Head: Chris King Grip2Nut
Rims: Mavic Ksyrium Elite
Wheels: Mavic Yksion Pro 25-622
BB: Shimano XT
FD: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 (1996)
RD: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 (1996)
Brakes: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 (1996)
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 (1996)
Crankset: TUNE "Big Foot" 110mm
Bottle cage: TUNE "Wasserträger" carbon
Chainrings: TUNE "Triebtreter" 50/38 110mm
Skewers: TUNE "Skyline" ZFS titanium
Pedals: Shimano Deore LX
Chain: Connex 9sB black edition (black gold)

BIKE SOLD !!! [updated the very latest picture of the bike at its current status! More of the build below]

Attachments

• 1996 klein quantum race build falko schloetel germany 33.JPG
    1996 klein quantum race build falko schloetel germany 33.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1996 klein quantum race build falko schloetel germany 34.JPG
    1996 klein quantum race build falko schloetel germany 34.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Re:

... adding some detail pictures:

img_8040.jpg

img_8038.jpg

img_8037.jpg

img_8039.jpg

img_8042.jpg

Cheers!

I don't know what it is about them, but those Klein frames always just look so "right". Stunning paintjob too. Nice bike!

Hallo Dirt Diciple,
Schön gemacht. Ich bin gerade dabei, es Dir nachzutun. Nur bin ich blutiger Anfänger, was den Aufbau betrifft. Ich hätte 10 bis 78 Fragen an Dich. Wenn es Dich nicht stören würde, würde ich das gerne unter uns per Mail/Whatsup whatever machen:
upperorange@me.com
DuploundLucy aka fatoldblackpanther (Instagram)

Re: KLein Quantum Race everyday? bike.

Hello fguki.
Fantastic looking bike, shame about the cockpit. I know i shouldn't say it but i just couldn't help myself. In my opinion you should equip your steed with a pair of nasty, cool carbon drop bars & some black brifters before anyone notices, then we can put this terrible mistake behind us and pretend it never happened. Some nice light/baby blue bar tape would set it off nicely, together with a blue saddle of appropriate tone. I just thought i'd try and save you the embarrassment of people staring and glaring and whispering unkind comments behind your back. I'm just saying. You're probably big enough to make your own decisions, but honestly, if i were you, i'd consider it.
Where i come from, it's called sacrilege. Some things are better left alone.

Have a nice weekend, keep on riding. :D
Regards,
Dicky71.

Re:

Dude, are you kidding me? :D Carbon wasn`t even invented in 1996 (just kidding)!!! And then you are suggesting blue bar tape and a blue saddle? ...Gosh, this is not some kind of Circus-Bike!

No, seriously. I am a designer and the design-concept was clear: frame beauty + all black. No distractions from the frame. I don`t want it to look like some kind of Nissan Car with eBay tuning and Ganganzhou Taiwan Accessoires from 2001. You already see: I hate different color saddles or bartapes. Thats too much of a circus-clown-look for my taste :xmas-big-grin:

For a perfect (catalogue) original build, I have 3 other KLEIN Quantum Pros and a Quantum II. This is my everyday city ride!

Re:

Done!

Still to come: TUNE Mig / Mag hubs (black) wheelset with Mavic Open Pro (black, 32H) rims. Already in my workshop.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back