Bridgestone Radac RD-570

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
T0cnsCI.jpg

Got this for £50 on ebay. My photo makes it look in better condition than it is but its not too bad. Rear end is 130mm already so may build it with modern parts but first job is to take it apart and clean it. I have the wheels also but they need a service.

Awesome, really pleased you picked this up as I wanted to but managed to stop myself :)

I have the same frame but the 'hybrid' version (OK, OK, I have two of them), which is, I think, identical in construction except it has no down tube bosses, cable routing for the rear mech only and the integrated cable goes through the top tube on the non-drive side, even the decals of one look the same.

Can you confirm the seat post is a 25.8 and the weight of the frame/fork/headset (if you can be arsed)?

Anyway, what's the plan? Keeping the totally rad Sakae stem with integrated bell? Are the bars Sakae steel too (they were on my RB2, replacing them saved about 500 grams!)? If you replace the brakes/seat post/stem/saddle let me know as I could use them for one of mine.

By the way, I have heard people reference having found these in a catalogue, but I am yet to find any internets evidence, these are Japanese Bridgestone and whilst some claim Grant Petersen had a hand in the design and development my understanding from his writing is that he did not, but he did use the technology at Bridgestone USA.

Re:

Bit of bad news... the rear derailleur hanger has been completely stripped of its thread! Filed out to fit a bigger bolt through FFS. You can just see the bolt in the pic above. Everything bar the pedals came off easily, NDS pedal and crank soaking in plusgas now. Frame weighs just over 5lbs so not a lightweight!

Tempted to SS it, will use mostly the same parts just new cables etc.

Re:

Thanksyou thats brill :D

I was thinking of something similar as I dropped off last night!

Tiny bit of progress basically I'm looking for some suitable tyres and then I'll stick it back together. Probably as a SS for now though I've ordered that dropout saver as linked above. The NDS pedal was very stuck but some heat and a ring spanner got it loose today! Going to use all the same parts except SPDs and possibly a new saddle. New brake blocks and cables etc also.

8fTUFLp.jpg

dN0PDBN.jpg

Looks like the main tubes are bonded into logs, similar to vitus?

Interested in the heating / ring spanner trick... I have some dura ace cranks with a stuck pedal. Anythings to be aware of, or just heat and go? Not sure I'll be able to get the pedal off and leave the pedal spindle though

Heat on the hob until hot enough that water bubbles on them and then use a normal spanner. Hopefully it works but if not ring spanner made all the difference to me- good luck!

Havent been out on it yet but apparently its stiffer than a Vitus.

Some progress. Been cleaning the drive train and also fitted the derailleur hanger saver thingy. You are supposed to drill out the hole to 12mm but I couldn't find a 12mm drill bit so used a file. It probably worked out better as I could get it close to 12mm and then press it in with a vice. Absolutely solid in there.

kikShJt.jpg

D4p22IY.jpg

LLSkGxO.jpg

InjTgSG.jpg

Back