Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:19 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

kermitgreenkona88 wrote:
I vividly remember the advert for these bikes it was a cyclist (No idea who). Standing in full Peugeot kit with the bike held at full arms length above his head, striking and impressive.

B.I.T.D. it had a full French build (unsurprisingly) Stronglight A9 H/set, 107 chainset, BB, seatpost. Simplex gearing, Maillard hubs, Atax bars and stem. The only thing I am fuzzy about are the brakes, I think they were Weinmann Carerra.

Hope this helps :wink:

The Robert Millar photo can be seen here

http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/th ... -py?page=4

Note the Turbo saddle, which Peugeot were putting on their top end bikes by ‘83 and the toe clips.

Of course RM’s race set up may have been different.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:20 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi DSH, that is an excellent link you attached, lots of Peugeot loveliness on there, much appreciated.

Over past weeks I have been slowly accumulating parts, I will get some photos up shortly..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:12 pm 
Old School Hero

So I have been slowly collecting parts for the 'Robert Millar PY10FC Homage' and this has lead me into the mysterious world of French componentry! I don't know if the following will be of any interest or use but I shall post my discoveries as I go along with this build... So starting with the gears...

Rear Derailleur
The standard 'off the shelf' bike originally was supplied with a Simplex SLJ5500 R/D, and on later versions of the bike it was an SLJ6600 T/SP... Simplex parts alone is a minefield and very easy to think that you are looking at one type of R/D when in fact it was something completely different.

For the actual team bikes, they used a Simplex LJ4000 CP/SP rear derailleur. This was further modified by drilling holes in the jockey wheels and jockey wheel cages to reduce the total weight to 145g! I managed to find a standard version (a hefty 170g!). interestingly the body is made of delrin plastic. Odder still, instead of a standard allen headed bolt to attach to rear hanger on the frame. it has a bolt that feeds in from the other side of the hanger and clamps the derailleur to the frame. Unusually on mine it has a gold Simplex logo on a black background (all the images I found of these have a black Simplex logo on a silver background) has so I don't know if this a special version, or just an early version? it is possible to get the decals for these so I shall ponder on changing it..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I used to drool over these in the Pug catalogues . There`s one on ebay at the moment, been on for ages with a strange mix of kit including c-record chainset and rear mech , fancy it myself but its beyond my budget. As well as Peugeot`s own pro team even ANC had a few PY10-fc`s for the 87 tour with full C-record , would love to recreate one of them one day :-)