Peugeot PY10-FC- THE dream bike of my youth...

Robster914

Retro Guru
Having kept my eyes peeled for many years for the dream bike of my youth, I finally have landed a Peugeot PY10-FC frame and forks. from my cycling days when I dreamed of being King of the Mountains (that ship sailed a long time ago LOL), when Robert Millar was my hero...

I clocked this on the 'bay' advertised a Vitus but knew immediately what it was... even in middle age there is nothing more exciting than getting home from work on a Friday evening for a big box to be sitting in the hallway...

So here she is... it is going to be a sympatheic clean up, and I will re-decal with the original Peugeot livery, but I am interested by it's history. it is currently 'stickered up' as you can see with the livery of a dutch team called Meulenreek. Google hasn't provide anything apart from an ebayer selling a cycling Jersey with 'A.D.Meulenreek/Peugeot livery. If anyone could shed any light that would be great.

Out of curiosity, I also weighed the frames and forks.....

Pretty light for a mid 80's bike!

If anyone has any contemporary adverts with the cost of one of these in period that would be very much appreciated!

I haven't decided what bits I will build it up with - but I suspect a Robert Millar tribute must be the way to go...

Very nice :)
It's in very good condition and doesn't look like it would take too much to make it really shine. I am assuming it's an actual team bike? If so it may look good restored as a team machine as those decals suite it really nicely. I am sure Gil at retrodecals could redo them easily.
I agree as well about getting that package in the post, always a magic feeling.
Look forward to seeing it progress for sure.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, much appreciated, the photos do flatter it, a few battle scars but it appears to be mechanically ok (always a risk with an old carbon bike)

Re:

I love the feeling of anticipation of the start of a new project! ;)

So what groupset are you thinking of?

Mike

Re:

Hi Mike, I would like to build it as a 'homage' to Robert Millar so if I can will try to build similar to his race bike. As always there is some more research required (all part of the fun :cool:).

I read somewhere that they originally came (and used by Peugeot team) with a Stronglight 107 chainset, from a bit of research, these may have a different pitch/thread for the pedals so may not be able to run 'clipless'... I am looking forward to delving deeper. I will see how easy it is to get the parts- this could be a long, slow build!

Interestingly they didn't come with any bottle cage or gearlever mounts, for these early carbon frames, they would weaken the tubes...

I have found a bike shop in the Netherlands in Meulenbeek with a '40 year history', I will ping them a mail and see if they sponsored a team in the 80's....

Re:

The mounts must be band on items then, I guess. I'm learning at the moment too.

Got a project from 1986, a bit before my cycling time. Always learning mate!

Like you say, a very light frameset, look forward to the build.

Mike

Yes, no drilled-in mounts or bosses on these because they hadn't worked out how to do it without weakening the tubes. Note also the alloy spacers in the lugs which were a sort of bodge so they could use a slightly larger diameter tube. Otherwise the stiffness suffered!

Pretty sure these were only team frames. Were they actually available to the public?

Re:

I vividly remember the advert for these bikes it was a cyclist (No idea who). Standing in full Peugeot kit with the bike held at full arms length above his head, striking and impressive.

B.I.T.D. it had a full French build (unsurprisingly) Stronglight A9 H/set, 107 chainset, BB, seatpost. Simplex gearing, Maillard hubs, Atax bars and stem. The only thing I am fuzzy about are the brakes, I think they were Weinmann Carerra.

Hope this helps ;)

Back