1954 BSA Tour of Britain Sports

Thanks Pete, welcome to Retrobike!

I made my own decals, on computer, for the seat tube, as they were completely gone. I drew them from photos and measurements that other bike owners sent me. I conserved all the other decals as they weren't too bad.

I look forward to seeing your restoration. Please ask if you need any information or advice.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the welcome, good to be involved.

I 1st restored the BSA in 1970, when i had all the spokes replace, frame resprayed, went to a fixed wheel and replaced the white mudguards with small alloy ones, which means i do not have any info on the decals. Your red in the pictures looks slightly metallic and brighter than mine. (picture above)

I was planning to get all the metal re-chromed, frame respray and look for the missing parts, do you still have the decal info you could share. Then I need the rear gear change, white pump and i seem to remember rat-trap peddles??

Looking at what you did it seems a similar path, would you make any changes??
Best Regards
Pete

Attachments

• BSA 2017[2].jpg
    BSA 2017[2].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,065
Hi Bruce & forum,
Do you know what the original colour of the red is on the frame and forks, been through loads of web site and cannot find it!
regards
Pete

Re:

Hi Pete,

Sorry, I missed your posts, I have been away on holiday.

The first catalogue (see page 1 of the thread) states the available colours as flamboyant red, blue, green or amaranthe (purple). I think that "flamboyant " is made up of a translucent colour ( i.e. lots of lacquer in it) over a silver base coat. I have never seen a green ToB but I have some photos of blue and amaranthe ones. Most good frame finishers offer flamboyant paint as an option.

I have got my homemade decals for the seat tube band, but I never made any for the downtube, although I have some partial artwork which I plan to finish when I restore my other ToB bike. Next project though is my 1950's Woodrup.

Hi Bruce,

I hope you had a good break! Thanks for the info around the colour, I will go for the "flamboyant red" but when you search for that you are opening a very big subject, lots of forums, any everyone has their own idea, so i guess i will have to choose. Seems BSA used the same colour on their motorbikes as well. I fear i am going to struggle on 2 points, the decals and the gears. I have managed to get a couple of of ebay but they seem quite rare. if you have any digital file you could share that would be great. The gears are also confusing because when you search Cyclo Benelux - "suicide" rod type front changer, and Benelux sport rear derailleur, there is a lot out there but not always showing the chain size ( or saying it will work on the 5 speed and 4 speed gears?) and the both costing £100 plus, i wish i had not taken them off in the 70's!
The bike is all striped down now and waiting for the new chrome work.

Good luck on the woodrup
Regards
Pete

Re:

Marvelous job you have done there sir. I found this thread after trying to identify a Tour of Britain that has arrived in my workshop in need of TLC. Can I ask what you printed your decals on? I can't see standard printer paper being suitable.

Hi Bruce.
Your restoration job has turned out a really stunning finished bicycle. Really special.
I am sure it brought back many memories for your neighbour Alan.
Great job, ride and enjoy it.

Jamie

Re:

Peetee - Thanks for the compliments. Is your workshop ToB one of the 50's ones or a later Raleigh jobbie? I have got most of the catalogue scans from the 50's if you need any info.
I made proper waterslide decals. I used "Laserjet waterslide decal paper" that I think I got off the bay, in my old HP colour laser printer. I got two types of paper, one with a clear background, and one with a white background, which I used for the coloured bands on the seat tube. I did a little experimenting first, but it was fairly straightforward in the end, and there were good instructions with my papers.

I'm told the laser toner won't fade like inkjet does, but I suppose time will tell. I clear coated them after they had fully dried. The papers cost me less than a tenner for 6 A4 sheets and I have only used a quarter of a sheet of each type.

Jamie - Thanks for your compliments. Yes Alan had a few stories to tell, and he found a couple of pictures of the bike back in the day. He had toured all over the North on it in the late 50's, and claimed he never pushed it up any hills, even Old Pool Bank in Wharfedale, (Average 9.1% over 1.7km), which he zig-zagged up! Not much traffic on there in those days!

I have now got the correct pump for the bike, and will be posting some new pictures, next time I take it out. (Not up Pool Bank!)

Re:

Is your workshop ToB one of the 50's ones or a later Raleigh jobbie?

Judging by online photos I think it's a '58. It has a white (maybe silver) headtube and white seat panel with large BSA divided by 4 rainbow bands. The rest of the decals are poor.

Back