Revell Rapide ?

Re: Re:

NeilM":3suycqhi said:
Looks interesting, but we need to see more, cos we do love our pictures. :mrgreen:

Are you certain it needs new paint? Look at some of the other threads here, it is amazing what can be done with some rust killer and a bit of polish, plus a fair bit of the running gear will clean up well, possibly not that headset though, that does look a little past its prime.

Hi mate could you recommend a good rust killer and were and what kind of replacement headset I could get..

From a newbie Carbon bike rider of 53 , who just about remembers his beautiful 1979 Raleigh Europa 10 speed and is very keen to get back into the world of Retro steel bikes :)

Re:

Hard to see where you might need rust killer - unless its on that headset, which looks a bit beyond redemption actually. But FWIW I have used "Flag" Rust Converter. I think its a Screwfix product. But it does leave very ugly black marks where once you might have had not so ugly rust spots.

As to your headset - are you any nearer identifying what kit you have on the bike? As well as your Shimano 600EX front changer the chainset looks distinctly like that too. Unless you get an idea what the majority of kit is fitted its hard to advise what you need. If most is, say, Shimano then that's what was probably fitted all over. Madison, BITD, were among the biggest importers of Shimano and used lots on their bikes.

The headset should be identifiable even under the rust - if Shimano it will say it somewhere. Then try and work out which particular one it is - as I said, Velobase would be helpful. ANd there are lots of diagrams of exploded headsets available on line. Or should that be exploded diagrams?

Cleaned greased and cables changed , Took it out for a spin on Friday and Saturday with a fellow Retro bike rider , couldn't believe how good it was equal if not better than my Giant carbon bike :).

grayduff64":2d6kiv2t said:
couldn't believe how good it was equal if not better than my Giant carbon bike :).

Great stuff, and now you know why so many of us ride steel frames. :mrgreen:

Back