1950's George Whitlow - any info anybody?

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
I've just got my old bike back - I used this at university 30 years ago, it having been my dad's road bike when I was a teenager. He'd bought it second hand in the late 70's, drawn to it by the fact that George had built him one when he was a youngster, but that one was long gone.

It's had a tough life, having done thousands of miles since then in the hands of my brother in law, and dumped in the back of his garage for years and years. It's dented and has had an awful respray too….I heard he was taking it to the tip, so I intervened!

It's in a mess but underneath, it's ok….no rust other than some light surface patches.

So, what to do with it?

I don't want to throw it away, but it doesn't warrant hundreds opening on it either…..so thinking of several options:

• Local powdercoater, £100
    Strip back to bare metal and just clear coat it
    Chuck it in the loft

Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have any info on George Whitlow? All I know is that he built frames in Runcorn in the 50's….but can't find any info anywhere via google. I did see one of his frames in a bike museum many years ago, but I can't remember where…..maybe someone on here can!

I think it's great that you've got this bike back. Can you not strip it back and get a auto sprayer chappie to give it a going over with some decent paint? Wouldn't cost much and I wouldn't recommend powder coating for a decent frame like this either.
I'll have a trawl through my V-CC magazines and see if I can find any references to George Whitlow.

Shaun

Re: 1950's George Whitlow

Hi Velocipede,

I've had a good trawl through my old magazines but no joy in finding any reference to your frame's builder.

Are there any transfers left on the frame? It must be fairly rare I'd imagine so well worth spending a few quid to make it look nice, at least that's what I'd do.

You could contact the Veteran Cycle Club and see if you can post an appeal in their journal for any info.

Best wishes
Shaun

Latest posts

Back