1953 Ellis Briggs Superbe

Re:

I had my 1951 Ellis Briggs repaint back to the originally spec at Ellis Briggs about six months ago they do a stunning job.

Re: Paint job

I can testify to the quality of their work as well. They're not the quickest but definitely value for money. You'll struggle to get better IMHO.

Re:

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm pretty sure it will be going back to Ellis Briggs for a one colour respray and decals - once I get the firmly stuck stem to shift! I've tried wd40 soaking, boiling water and mallet whacking all to no avail...

I'd love to go original two colour plus lining but that's beyond my means. I'm currently thinking Flamboyant Royal Blue ala Ken Russell's bike on Classic Lightweights (I wonder if Ken's win inspired someone from Leigh-on-Sea to go for a Briggs rather than a more local builder).

The bike is now stripped to the BB, headset and stuck stem/bars. So I'm slowly starting to clean up the parts, reshaping and proofiding the Brooks (which Hilary Stone confirms to be pre-WWII) and attacking the rust. The front wheel has come up a treat.

Before and after:

Attachments

• fbhub2.jpg
    fbhub2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 885
  • polspokes-1.jpg
    polspokes-1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 885
  • rustspokes.jpg
    rustspokes.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 885
Re: Stuck stem

Plus Gas to release the stem. Your local bike shop will have some or point you in the right direction.

Re:

It's gone to the LBS this morning - See if they can shift it. Next step will be getting some plusgas off eBay as I can find a source for it locally. My local car parts place has been replaced by an artisan vet...

Re:

I've always been able to shift stems with a lever (piece of wood to save rhe paint) through the blades at the crown end, working against the bars. Yours might have been stuck for decades, though.

Had a problem with frozen/stuck seat post and stem - my solution is pouring an ounce of vinegar around the base of part. Possibly some chemical reaction with alloy and steel?Usually works within ten to twenty minutes. Some problem areas may need a second application.

I was so annoyed when I spotted this Ellis Briggs on ebay, because I was sure it was the one from Southend... I gave the chap who sold it a call to buy it, when it went unsold - but someone had collected it the day before.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ellis ... 1438.l2649

Now I see it is a different frame and the one from Southend actually went to someone who cares :)

Good luck with the rebuild and I am looking forward to see more. Lovely bike with even better components - if you got it for the starting price (or even under) it was a proper bargain!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I spotted that one too and for a split second thought it was my frame! That one's a top of the range International - crazy price though.

Not much movement with mine. The LBS got to the stem out with plenty of plus has and a vice (destroying the topnut in the process). I had decided on a colour and was hoping to put a Ken Russell decal on for contrast but they are no longer available so I'm having a rethink. Maybe a Poly Azure Blue...

They're a nice mid-50s one on eBay and gumtree at the moment in West Yorkshire.

Back