Warning - totally non-authentic build.

20170806_105406 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170806_105420 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170806_105434 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170806_105451 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170806_105458 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170806_105510 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170806_105528 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Frame wasn't expensive until it was resprayed (don't ask) so I had Argos make a few braze-on modifications, respaced the rear end to a wafer-thin 112mm and put a Sturmey-Archer AM in there, the best gear-changing device of all time. Then put some parts on it that actually work and don't weigh a ton; it comes out as 21 3/4lb without pedals, yet it has a leather saddle and a hub gear.

Deep V rims are ridiculous, I know, but you try and find anything else narrow in 32/40. The BHC Airlite hub scared me when I realised the flanges could be pulled off by hand, but once the wheel is built there's about 100kg of lateral tension holding them in place!

It is silent to ride except for the faint ticking of the pawls - there is no chain noise at all. The rear triangle is very noodly and the rear brake needs to be run quite a way from the rim to avoid it rubbing on climbs. My other 50s frame has the same issue. It's a problem with modern DP brakes, which can't move out of the way like a side-pull; even the pro racers open their rear brake QRs on HC climbs!

Colour is Verde Chiaro with amazing gold lug lining (if you browse around my Flickr page you can see the "before" photos which show what a mess Holdsworth made of the lining 66 years ago). I do have the original brass head badge but it's lost all its paint and didn't look particularly good in bare metal. The decal is the same design. The frame used to have 3/4 chromed stays and dropouts but they were a bit pitted; Tornadoes normally only had a chrome crown anyway, so someone must have been at the options list.

As I say, totally non-authentic, but it's how I wanted it.

Frame: Holdsworth Tornado

Fork: Holdsworth

Headset: Tange Passage
Stem: Zenith Gran Compe
Handlebar: Nitto Randonneur
Bar Tape: Union Sea Green Shiny Tape!

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105
Brake Calipers: Tektro front, Acor rear (vastly different drops)
Brake Pads: Kool-Stop salmon
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR

Shifters: Sturmey-Archer trigger with modified bolt to make it fit the bars
Hub gear: Sturmey-Archer AM in alloy shell with threaded driver
Derailleur Cables: Sturmey-Archer cable in Shimano outer
Cassette: Surly 18T fixed sprocket
Chain: Connex 3/32"
Cranks:Sugino XD2
Chainrings: Stronglight 42T
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55 107mm (and the ring still needs to go inside the spider!)
Pedals: Shimano M540 SPD

Rims: Velocity Deep V
Hubs: BHC Airlite front 32h, Sturmey_Archer AM rear, 40h
Hub Skewers: n/a
Nipples:DT
Spokes:DT Competition. Front is 32h x2, rear is 40h x4
Tyres:Vredestein Fortezza Quattro 23mm
Tubes:Specialized

Saddle: Brooks Swallow (steel)
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder:Generic Cr-Mo

Bottle Cage: Topeak
Extras: None

Weight:21 3/4 lb without pedals

I think it looks really lovely Roger and seems like a good rideable build.
I love the colour.

Jamie

That looks superb, what a brilliant combination of parts to make a really complete looking and stylish bike.

Re:

Did 40 miles on it this evening. Noodly as hell uphill - brakes need to be run with plenty of clearance or they drag when honking - but it really shifts on the flat, rides the bumps well and is stable at (don't try this at home) 50mph. The only irritation is that the shifter rattles like mad in normal gear, but that's Sturmey-Archer for you!

Back