1997(?) Principia 700 -> new pics (page 4)

Re: 199X Principia 700 -> starting to put it together

mattr":21qclzcc said:
Yeah, the pro versions have been acid etched to reduce weight. It also increases the risk of fatigue failure.
So the RS6Pro and Rex Pro (and ellipse versions) all have an 80 kilo weight limit.

Really? Wow.

Well, I guess this frame should have no rider weight limit. After all it weighs over 1,5kg. What a fatso.

But my other road bike is built around 2003 Scott AFD Team scandium frame that weighs 994g. I'm nowhere near 80kg but I have no way of knowing who rode it before me. Should I be worried?

Think mine was mid/high 1100s when we weighed it. something like 1160-1170. But 1500 isn't bad for a painted aluminium frame of that age. The one i have is anodized, to save weight...... thats probably ~150 grams straight off.

And worried is probably the wrong word, it's just something to be aware of with old aluminium, they do have a finite life and the harder you use them, the sooner they fail.
Just listen out for odd clicks and creaks and funny handling. And an occasional inspection never goes amiss.

2rqfzf6.jpg

Chorus headset. This model was introduced in 1997. Exactly same as Record, only the lock nut is different. Weight is 107g.

ndob6e.jpg

Headset in place. I managed to cut the steerer tube a few mm too long but fortunately I had a suitable Campy spacer (4g) available.

Looking good! It's always better to have too much steerer instead of not enough!

Re: Principia 700 (maybe 1997)

Yes foz that is true.

Bit of progress:
2vcjpq9.jpg

Kingsbery seatpost (190g) and Flite (221g) from 1995. Seatpost clamp (20g) is uglyish but it's the only one I have in silver.

eziq8o.jpg

Chose to go with the Chorus cranks. Bottom bracket is FSA Ultimax Titanium (158g) with 103mm ISO axle. Chorus chainring (49g) and mint condition Record Titanium brakes (313g).

154dixt.jpg

Chainring details. Crank bolts are titanium (18g). Those alloy chainring bolts (9g) are too long for a single ring setup so I used thick stainless steel washers (9g) between the crank and the nut to take up the slack.

2rghumc.jpg

ncbe5f.jpg

Cable housing was surprisingly easy to feed through the top tube. I used brake cable as a guide.

2q9jhmx.jpg

10 speed cassette (279g) and lockring (17g). I have no idea what model this is with those loose cogs and alloy spacers. Centaur maybe?

wujdcx.jpg

Miche chain made by Yaban in Taiwan. Might be shit. But it has hollow pins and it was cheap!

Back