Concorde Aquila SLX

It's fully tight? No play?

If it's happening at relatively low speed its most likely to be a bit of play in the headset. Tyres with excessive pressure won't help either.

The simplest solution is to ride holding the handlebars though...

Re:

Headset bearings sound like the culprit, probably just need adjustment.

Check by walking the bike next to you just holding the saddle, the bike should track nicely next to you. If the front keeps flipping from side to side you gave your answer. Play would also be obvious by squeezing the front brake hard and rocking the bike back and forth- look for play at the bottom of the headset \fork junction.

Good luck

Ray

At low speed (10-20km/h)it's hard to keep balance, and at high speed it's wobbling.
Walking the bike next to me just holding the saddle, the bike don't track nicely next to me, but there is no play.
I shall grease the bearings and adjust again.
And, yeah the holding the handlebars at all time during the ride is solving the problem, but I want to enjoy the bike on longer rides, and it adds to comfort and enjoyment to let go and do some movement and stretching to your arms and shoulders... :D

Thanks for the replies. I shall update when headset is serviced.

Re:

Are you sure the forks are tracking OK?

I took a frame in to be painted at Argos a while ago and they immediately spotted a small misalignment in the fork legs. It was sorted easily during the fettling and painting process, but I had not spotted it until it was pointed out.

Not sure about the forks.
As written in earlier post there is no visible damage to them, and previous owner said he had never had a crash, FWIW. He used to race it in the early 90's
I have suspected this all the time, but always thought I'd have to take the bike to some sort of an expert to measure any misalignment, and therefore have never done so.
If it's not visible to the naked eye, you need some sort of special tool to measure it I recon?

Re:

The guys at Argos spotted it the second I handed over the frame. I could see it too once it was pointed out, there was just a slight difference between the two legs, no dents or even scratches... who knows how these things happen.

I would give the forks a real good eyeball, but I would also pull the forks off and have a good look at the headset bearing surfaces.

So I did the headset overhaul and it's got some issues.
The surface of the ring around the fork tube has got some "wounds" and when I'm adjusting the headset I can't make it move freely without play. Tightening enough to avoid play, the bike becomes now even more unstable.
One thing I'm wondering though, was I right in installing the lower bearings with the cage down?
Did also give the forks a good eyeball and they look straight at least.

Oh, and I ain't giving up on it yet... :)

Balls down Tom... Assuming it's a Campagnolo headset...

Not being able to tighten enough without play is a classic symptom of your balls being incorrectly oriented.

Yeah, balls down is right.
Now got the headset properly adjusted, or as good as I can get it, and the wobbling is gone.
Low speed instability is a lot less and I can let go of the bars, although it's not perfect, as the bike is pulling a bit to the left.
I'm thinking I should probably replace the old Campy headset, to get handling as good as it should be.

Back