1954 BSA Tour of Britain Sports

Re: Re:

yorkie1956":3m1o3iiw said:
But strangely no chain stay derailleur cable braze-on.
My guess is that the derailleur kit was supplied to the factory pre-assembled with cable and housing attached. I have seen boxed NOS ones on ebay like this. The fitter in the factory simply had to attach the shifter and derailleur, and then just clip the cable to the frame. So the braze-on wasn't needed. No cutting of housing, and no threading cable through holes.

yorkie1956":3m1o3iiw said:
Do your hubs have any markings at all? Maybe the crossed rifles logo or BSA stampings?
My hub's barrels are stamped with the piled arms, with 'BSA' beneath. They are stamped twice, once each side of the oil hole. Of course they also have Continental de Luxe around the flanges.

Re: 1953 BSA Tour of Britain Sports

Just a quick update for anyone interested, as it has been a while.

I set about refurbishing my brakes. (The earlier Tour of Britain model had the Mk 1 "GB Sport" brakes, with the early GB Hiduminium levers. The later model from 1956 used GB Coureur brakes with Superhood levers, before switching back to Sports brakes for 1958.) My front caliper was in good condition, but this rear pivot bolt had a stripped thread. (1/4" UNC thread, not M6, so I couldn't use any old pivot bolt)
32449733854_e54b20285a_n.jpg

After several weeks and a few failed ebay bids, I finally had to bid £30 for this lot in order to get the correct GB pivot bolt, but there is actually a complete pair of Coureur Plus calipers in there for later.
32449730434_885231b7d8_n.jpg

So now I have completed the brake overhaul.
I don't like to polish alloy parts back to as new condition, but so as they retain a used look. I just clean off the gunk, rub back a little with a Scotchbrite pad, and then polish up lightly with Autosol. (No mirror polishing here). These will compliment the patina on my frame.
32478077973_3db98087be_c.jpg

I have a acquired a better set of original equipment Bluemels mudguards, than I had already, so I'll clean them up next so I can fit them with the brake calipers.

Nice work Bruce...

And appropriately finished to be blend in with your refurbed frame, wheels and chainset.

This is going to be a lovely bike once again. I'm looking forward to future updates.

BTW and as a matter if interest. I've recently bought BSA brochures for 1955, 56 and 59 that I found on the internet. The Vintage library doesn't have any of them so I'll ask if they want copies of these. Two of them are photocopies, but still very useful for anyone looking for individual year spec and colours. I'm away at the moment, but I'll post more details when I get home. Could be useful to compare with your ToB document also.

Finally finished - well, 98%!
I need to fit a new chain as the one I have used jumps about a bit, and I need to get an aluminium pump, and light blue ribbon type bar tape to make it ex-factory spec.

I had a test ride today, and the bike rode very well. It is very comfortable, although a tiny bit small for me.
The original owner had binned the Bluemels mudguards, as he thought the bike looked better without them, and I agree, so I have left them off. I will keep them to pass on with the bike should that event come, although I have no plans to part with this one.

I actually found both shifters easier to operate with my left hand. My leg kept getting in the way trying to work the rod shifter with my right hand. But it does work beautifully.

Riders eye view!

Attachments

• rsz_1img_0851.jpg
    rsz_1img_0851.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • rsz_1img_0852.jpg
    rsz_1img_0852.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,068
  • rsz_img_0841.jpg
    rsz_img_0841.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • rsz_1img_0850.jpg
    rsz_1img_0850.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 1,068

Absolutely stunning. What a belter. Small Heath at it's finest.
Well done Bruce.

Thanks for the compliments, Dennis. Sorry but it is not for sale, it is going to be used for summer trips to town for ice creams with my children. Just got to get them interested in riding vintage too!

I think it might be helpful to add a full specification, so here goes..

Frame & forks: Reynolds 531 plain gauge main triangle.-, BSA lugs.
Handlebars: GB Maitland
Stem: GB Hiduminium spearpoint.
Wheels: Dunlop special lightweight 27 1/4 chrome rims laced with butted spokes to BSA Continental de Lux large flange (four slot) hubs.
Chainset: Chromed steel fluted BSA 5 pin cranks with BSA 49 & 46 tooth chainrings.
Freewheel: BSA 4 speed.
Pedals: BSA quill pedals.
Gears: Cyclo Benelux - downtube shifter, "suicide" rod type front changer, and Benelux sport rear derailleur.
Brakes: GB Sport (Mk1) side pull calipers, with GB hooded levers (pre "superhood")
Saddle: Brooks B15 Champion.
Mudguards: Bluemels lightweight.

I haven't fitted the mudguards for aesthetic reasons, and I still need to find a 16" aluminium pump, (probably Bluemels), and some light blue celluloid ribbon bar tape. Also I have not fitted the Brooks toeclips and straps that were on the bike; they weren't shown in the catalogues - probably a shop fitted accessory.

Finally here is a picture of my neighbour Alan reunited with the BSA 63 years after he bought it. I managed to keep it out of sight during the restoration so as to surprise him, although he declined to take it for a spin down the village!

Attachments

• rsz_img_0836.jpg
    rsz_img_0836.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,048
Thats lovely.

After years of MTB saturation, I dipped a toe into the world of older road bikes and have been pleasantly pleased (but not altogether surprised) with how nice these things are to ride. They are great for just going out knocking off 30 - 40 miles with ease. The builders knew what they were doing and had done so for decades before these MTB upstarts came along.

Re:

Amazing bike, i have the same one which my dad purchased in 1954 and was about to restore!

Where did you get the decals as mine will need a re-paint and also some chroming.
Regards
Pete

Back