1966 Mercian Superlight Rebuild

Re:

Last update (probably!)

The time had come for me to tidy up the frame ready for the rebuild to start over the next Bank Holiday weekend.

At the beginning of this thread there was a minor discussion on what I should ultimately do with the frame, and eventually, once funds are available, I am hoping to send it back to Mercian for a full restoration, but for the time being I just wanted to rub down the existing rust and try and get as much of the original paint looking a little bit better.

I began by giving any areas of rust a gentle brush with a small wire brush to remove any loose flakes and try and expose the metal/paint underneath. Once that was done I then went over the whole frame, including the remaining paint work, with a very fine wire wool to remove all the years of dirt and oxidisation. Once that had been achieved I gave the frame a polish with a clean cloth.

Surprisingly the frame didn’t come out too badly, with quite a lot of the original blue paint visible….

The original T.D.C. ‘Italia’ Headset was very badly rusted, so I fitted a replacement that a friend donated. Although not NOS by any means, it was still a great improvement on the original….

I then removed the original Stronglight Bottom Bracket, gave it a full clean and re-grease and then refitted it….

I’ve also finished cleaning the rusty frame on the original Brooks B17 Champion Narrow saddle and given it a good treating with Proofide, but I won’t bore you with a picture of that!

So that’s it as far as this thread is concerned. Hopefully I will soon be in a position to show the completed bike!

Steve.

Attachments

• Frame 1 a.jpg
    Frame 1 a.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 532
  • Headset a.jpg
    Headset a.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 532
  • Bottom Bracket a.jpg
    Bottom Bracket a.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 532
Looks really nice and look forward to seeing it built.
Inspired me to leave my Jack Taylor as it is and clean the rust spots and treat.

Jamie

Re:

Build up finished and been out for a 20 mile shake down ride with no issues apart from the saddle could do with being an inch higher.

So, here's a taster pic with more to come when I get more time....

Attachments

• IMG_3384a.jpg
    IMG_3384a.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 474
Looking very nice indeed and am sure once you get the little things sorted to your liking that the ride will just get better and better.
It does look good carrying it's patina :) I am always a bit undecided about that, I like the originality but also like the nice shiny just painted look.

Mike, I've not really done anything to the JT other than strip it really. Am hoping to give it an acid bath to remove the rust from the bare metal spots, then just wax and polish it to preserve it. It will be a slow build as funds allow, but it's a keeper so time will only be an issue when I start getting impatient and have to have a ride on it. :)

Jamie

Back