c1956 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

Re: c1952 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

quiet mike":2ihrhwie said:
It's feels pretty close to my size without touching a thing, which is just a fluke of course. Touching the ground is a bit of a stretch for me, but when peddling it feels like the saddle is too low. I'll adjust the saddle up half an inch or so tonight I think.
Handlebars feel right. I've got long legs and short arms, so for some of my bikes it's a bit of a stretch to reach the bars. Even though the BSA has a longer reach handlebar stem it's fine.
If it feels right for you that's all that matters.
I've said before that I think your bike is a 1956 model, as indeed I believe my black frame is. Anyway, I managed to buy a 1956 BSA brochure recently and it lists frame size availability for that years ToB model as 21 1/2" and 22 1/2". Looking at the picture of your bike in front of the Southampton map, I think your frame is the larger of the two!

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 890
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 890
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: c1952 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

That is tidy and incredibly un-messed with for such an old bike. Certainly the frame and original paintwork is much better than mine. Looks like the front tyre could be original fitment? just like yours was Mike. It just needs a Swallow saddle and a pair of pedals.

29 pounds 5 shillings and threepence it cost when new, according to the the Veteran Cycle Club Library. I'm not sure how that relates in today's money to the 450 pounds asking price. It seems expensive, but then I've probable spent a silly amount on mine! That happens I suppose when buying a bike one part at a time like I am..

I don't think it's a BSA Small Heath made bike, but a later Raleigh version. Probably 1958-1960, after production moved to Raleigh. The giveaways are the later BSA head badge, hoop decals between the BSA letters on the seat post, The long decal on the top tube which our bike's don't have. No BSA chainset, neither would it have had BSA pedals and the headset is different to our Small Heath bikes. Oh and it's got a Mk.7 Benelux derailleur which didn't come out until 1957. Neither do I think it has BSA Continental large flange hubs, but can't really be sure from the pictures. The wheels are still 32/40 though. I guess after the Raleigh buy-out, and as BSA made components ran out, Raleigh used their normal parts and it didn't take long to lose the detailed BSA identity.

But after all my old nonesense, I still like it.

Dennis - I agree with your observations, definitely around 1958. But may I add that to me it looks like it has had a front end shunt. The forks look a little bent back, compared to the picture of Mike's bike, and that would explain why the front hub is a large flange instead of small alloy, like the back. i.e. someone fitted a different wheel, and that might also explain the broken front mudguard. Shame because the frame is in great condition, (but not £450 condition!)

Mike - well done, that is fantastic to get your bike on the road for such little expense. I have foolishly spent at least £200 on mine, and the bike was given to me!

Thanks Bruce! Although I never really bonded with the bike after the initial disappointment of seeing it in the flesh the first time. I figured that I could always just use it as a parts donor if it didn't work out. I just wanted to get it rolling as cheaply as possible, it was always going to be a ratty machine. It's saving grace was its originality, also it was/is too far gone to restore! It is what it is!

I must be a glutton for punishment though, this is the next project ...

Rotrax project by Mike, on Flickr

quiet mike":2fqkpama said:
I must be a glutton for punishment though, this is the next project ...
That's certainly a challenge Mike and should keep you busy for a while. It looks to be a bigger frame than your BSA?
Did you buy it as a complete bike?
I don't think you are going to get away with not painting that one!
Good luck with it and keep us posted on progress.

twosheds":52m1wd6a said:
Dennis - I agree with your observations, definitely around 1958. But may I add that to me it looks like it has had a front end shunt. The forks look a little bent back, compared to the picture of Mike's bike, and that would explain why the front hub is a large flange instead of small alloy, like the back. i.e. someone fitted a different wheel, and that might also explain the broken front mudguard.
I didn't notice that. Well spotted Bruce. Could it be the camera angle making it look bent?, I don't know but you'd have to pull the forks out and check for peace of mind wouldn't you. I've just looked at another pic on the listing and you may well be right.

I've also noticed the forks have differences to the BSA made bikes. The chrome fork crown covers are a different shape and the lower fork legs aren't chromed! Checking the catalogue that's how they should be. (but not bent, haha. Not funny) The bike is almost a totally different model from what BSA made. A big change in a short time.

Excuse the time of the posting and the one above, I'm "Down Under" at the moment, so it's the middle of my day.

Snapped the Cyclo gear change cable on it's first ride. It's was very rusty and I'm surprised it worked at all TBH. I have a another cable here, and just need to file down the nipple to fit the cylco shifter. There is a VCC ride on Sunday I think, and if I can get the gears working a little better I'd like to take the BSA out for it. I need to try and adjust the mech so I can get bottom gear (not important, it's already low geared). Top gear slips too, and I'm hoping this is just because of the old chain rather than wear in the cogs. Fingers crossed.

A shame. A new one ended on eBay recently with no buyer. It was only 2.99 but it had a grey outer cable. I wanted black so didn't buy it.

This BSA has now moved on to a new owner. Jason is a BSA enthusiast and was looking for a proper BSA made ToB and this fitted the bill. Thanks Jason, good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back