c1956 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

Re: c1952 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

Hello Mike,

Great that you are progressing with the ToB. I've have just coincidentally bought some Bluemels handlebar tape like that off Ebay for mine, except I chose black. I don't know if it's any good but I thought maybe it was original equipment so give it a go.

Incidentally, your pictures are a great help in sourcing parts for my bike thanks very much. I've now found Maes handlebars and stem just like yours. I had to pay a bit for them but my choice.

Do keep us informed of progress.

Apologies for the quick phone snap.

The cranks were a ball ache to fit. They are really wobbly and all the cotter pins I had fell through past their shoulders the spindle is so worn. I found a set that didn't eventually. I may have another spindle kicking around if they don't work.

I'm in the middle of putting the brake cables and bar tape on now.

Despite it's many and obvious faults, with the wheels back on it and new rubber, it feels like it has potential to be a lovely bike to ride.

Attachments

• IMG_9417.jpg
    IMG_9417.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 650

Cheers fellas. I'm calling this build the BSAtard.

Good work there Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.
Another one saved and it is definitely not skip fodder now.

Mine is nearing completion; I am getting close to a road test. I just can't make a decision on bar tape.

Well, the BSAtard made it the 6 miles into work! First attempt on Friday had to be aborted after the crank worked loose just 10 yards down the road. Worked out it was the crank and not the spindle that was worn, so replaced that with a similar fluted crank from a Raleigh Lenton I picked up recently. (I'll keep the BSA carnk of course, the next owner may want to try and sleeve it or something)
The bike ran straight and true, lovely to ride. Brakes worked fine. Gears were a problem though. Middle gear was fine. Couldn't get low gear engaged at all. High gear slipped on a couple of stiff chain links. (It is the original rusty chain) I'm hoping to be able to get the grears working properly to make it more usuable.
All in all I'm happy with it now. It's a touch too big for me so I'm probably going to move it on once I get it running right.

Initial cost £60

New tyres and tubes - £16.77
Vintage Bluemels 'bar tape - £5
Bearings - £3.49

Parts used from 'stash' - one Raleigh Lenton crank.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/sD4Kb8ml-Wc[/youtube]

Attachments

• IMG_9472.jpg
    IMG_9472.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_9471.jpg
    IMG_9471.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_9532.jpg
    IMG_9532.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 579

Well done Mike. You can't buy many original 1950's bikes for that money plus elbow grease.
What does the new Bluemels handlebar tape feel like?

yorkie1956":2wficczv said:
What does the new Bluemels handlebar tape feel like?

Thanks Dennis.

Bar tape feels fine. It's pretty hard and plasticy, as you'd imagine plastic bar tape to be :LOL: Obviously if you are used to modern cushioned tape it will be a step down, but I didn't have any issues with it.

Attachments

• IMG_9527.jpg
    IMG_9527.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 568

Excellent. All looking good Mike.
What size frame is yours? The bloke you bought it off told me it was 21 1/2"?

yorkie1956":19s77soo said:
Excellent. All looking good Mike.
What size frame is yours? The bloke you bought it off told me it was 21 1/2"?

I've never stuck a tape measure on it. I've not even adjusted the saddle or seat post! Not standard practice I know ... I was more worried about if it would actually work! Making it fit didn't seem so important! :shock:

It's feels pretty close to my size without touching a thing, which is just a fluke of course. Touching the ground is a bit of a stretch for me, but when peddling it feels like the saddle is too low. I'll adjust the saddle up half an inch or so tonight I think.
Handlebars feel right. I've got long legs and short arms, so for some of my bikes it's a bit of a stretch to reach the bars. Even though the BSA has a longer reach handlebar stem it's fine.

Back