1966 Mercian Superlight Rebuild

Nice job done so far. The sticky fork and stem issue is a pretty common one. Not my favorite. But you did well. Compliments. Looking forward to the complete results.

Re: Re:

Ralph_the_Rohan":2sb2awu6 said:
Then did my first bit of build up by fitting the bars into the stem, fitted the Weinmann Levers and the replacement blue Adie Bell, before adding Bar Tape. Still need to get some white plastic tape to finish off the ends.

You could use finishing tape to match the frame colour...I think I have some NoS hoods in my parts cache.

Rk.

Forgot to mention that I’d also given the Stronglight 49D crankset and Chainrings a clean. Again I’ve not aimed to get rid of every single mark and blemish, just give them a really good clean to get rid of the dirt and grime….

Roadking, I’d be interested in the brake hoods. Please PM me with the details, price, etc.

Steve.

Attachments

• Cranks Before a.jpg
    Cranks Before a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 793
  • Chainrings Before a.jpg
    Chainrings Before a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 793
  • Cranks After a.jpg
    Cranks After a.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 793
Nice. I was lucky to get a set of umarked GB bars and the Kromo stem on one of my builds:

file.php

Next update….

As can be seen from the original pics, the wheelset that came with the Mercian consisted of a complete rear wheel with a small flange Campagnolo Record hub laced to a Fiamme rim and a front small flange Campagnolo Record hub and Fiamme rim. As my wheel building skills are totally non-existant and the hubs looked beyond repair I decided to look for a replacement wheelset.

I wanted to keep the Campagnolo hub and Fiamme rim combination and as I’ve always preferred the look of large flange hubs I bought this set off of Ebay.

The previous owner had already polished the hubs and had them laced into the Fiamme rims, but had not got round to polishing the rims themselves, so a quick session of polishing was required to get them looking good.

The skewers that came with the Ebay wheels were a non-matching set and in not very good condition so a virtually new straight lever set was procured and fitted.

Finally I’ve fitted a pair of Vittoria Competition Rally Tubs and are just letting them stretch for a few days before gluing.

The Freewheel that came on the rear wheel was a grotty looking 5 speed Regina Sport Corse that had 14, 16, 18, 22 and 28 tooth sprockets. Looking at the rust on the 28 tooth sprocket it doesn’t look as if it got much use and I doubt that the Benelux 60 derailleur could cope with it anyway.

Luckily a friend had a virtually identical Regina Sport Corse, this time with a more usable 15, 18, 20, 23 and 25 spread, so he generously donated it to the cause. Just needs a clean.

Not much left to do now.

Attachments

• Wheels Ebay Pic 1 a.jpg
    Wheels Ebay Pic 1 a.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 658
  • Rims Before a.jpg
    Rims Before a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 658
  • Rims After a.jpg
    Rims After a.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 659
  • Hub a.jpg
    Hub a.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 659
  • Wheelset a.jpg
    Wheelset a.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 659
  • Regina 1 a.jpg
    Regina 1 a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 658
  • Regina 2 a.jpg
    Regina 2 a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 658
It certainly is coming together now.
The wheels, like the rest of the parts so far, are looking brilliant after you've worked your magic.
Really looking forward to seeing this one back together.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back