Dave Lloyd, with a difference

Re:

COOL!

I saw it on the bay, but much as though I am a LLoyd enthusiast, I must be able to ride them and a Lo-Pro really isn't me.

I look forward to seeing the build thread.

I rode my mates lo pro for abit last year, though it was on the flat in sunny dry weather. They are a little twitchy but wanted to build something different and had to get the mono stay thing out of my head.

Re:

Shakedown time.

Ohhhhh yes, I remember why I HATE this setapost with a vengeance. :evil: Four stops, first to tighten up the stupid 2.5mm allen bolts a bit more, next to thump the saddle flat, next to thump the saddle flat, next to tighten the stupid 2.5mm allen bolts a bit more. I mean, I know the roads around here are utter shyte, but this is the only seatpost I have that the saddle moves so far. I have two or three other USE Alien seatposts which are trouble free, but this one..... this one needs cutting up and throwing in the scrap bin.

So, first impressions are that the brakes are excellent. Just as well as I live on a hill and head out by going down it. Also the riding position is nowhere near as extreme as it felt when building the bike and when I get the saddle correctly positioned it will be pretty comfy, even for longer rides.

DSCN1455.JPG

Handling is excellent, it's a really nippy little bike and corners superbly with a much quicker turn in that is dead stable once in the turn. It also feels a little less jarring on the poor road surfaces around here, even with 110psi in the tyres. Climbing is very good, the gearing is theoretically easier and you can feel that. Of course by the time I got to the first proper climb of the ride the gear cable had stretched just enough to prevent me getting the easiest sprocket on the cassette, yes I could have stopped and twiddled the adjuster on the rear mech, but.... you know, riding stopping phaffing and all that.

DSCN1460.JPG

Anyway, I made it up onto the Roman Road fine, so no worries. I did take it easy down Canada Combe, this is a fast bumpy descent that has a few twists in it, but on Saturdays it can have horses, cyclists, walkers, cars, tractors et al going up and down, plus, new slightly lively bike and all that so......

The downtube SIS shifter is great, the only problem is that I have to time when I reach down otherwise I bump my arm with my knee when pedalling and shift two gears at once. The front mech friction shifter is quick, but does need to be trimmed a bit to prevent annoying noises. The Gatroskin tyres are as grippy and as grippy things freshly coated in something grippy.

So, overall and excellent ride finished with a pretty easy climb back to my house, so it must be easier to ride up hills on... mind, I was only out for 20 miles, let's see what it's like after 40 or more.

DSCN1466.JPG

Looks really great Neil. You need to get the sun shining on it in the pics though!

How do you feel post-ride? I think anything that compact would cripple me, as I'm longer of body than leg.

You should consider a white saddle to match the bar tape though - and a pack of handi-wipes in your saddle roll to keep everything clean... :p

Re:

It was only a short ride,so I feel fine.

I did feel it in the thighs when riding, but that's just a matter of getting the saddle in the right place. It was also a bit head down body forward on the steep downhill, but I just dropped back a bit, mtb stylee.

A white Turbo would look great and be comfy too, but black is what Dave chose, so black it will be, plus the Flite titanium weighs almost nothing and is pretty comfy on a roadbike, certainly a hell of a lot more comfortable than the Selle San Marco Dave used, those things are used by the CIA as instruments of torture, if you don't fess up after water boarding, they make you ride a bike on a turbo with a SSM saddle, works every time.

Re: Re:

NeilM":33xgs8zy said:
A white Turbo would look great and be comfy too, but black is what Dave chose, so black it will be, plus the Flite titanium weighs almost nothing and is pretty comfy on a roadbike, certainly a hell of a lot more comfortable than the Selle San Marco Dave used, those things are used by the CIA as instruments of torture, if you don't fess up after water boarding, they make you ride a bike on a turbo with a SSM saddle, works every time.

Fair enough, if the black is more in keeping with the catalogue spec then go for it.

I share your feeling toward Selle San Marco saddles...

I have had a couple of Selle San Marco saddles and for me, they really were the proverbial ass hatchet. Conversely, the Flite in any generation has been supremely comfortable.

Re:

Took the 'Little" Lloyd out for another quick ride today as I wanted to do a little bit of climbing and also top up my miles for the month.

I have had my doubts about the USE seatpost from the get go but it seemed to be behaving itself..... until I was about five miles from home when it came loose again and again and again. I had the right tools but the problem seemed terminal, so in the end I stuffed the saddle up my jersey and rode the seven planned miles, including a couple of short sharp climbs, home standing.

I have to say it was an interesting experience as I am a long legged type so don't tend to stand unless I have to.

I've stuck a different seat post in for the minute and will search for something more suitable, a Ritchey classic perhaps.

Back