Dawes Equinox (1990) Resto/Refurb.

Catho

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, thought I'd post up a thread of the restoration/renovation of my 27+ year old Dawes racing bike.

The frame (which I think is a mid-eighties model) was bought for my 14th birthday (back in 1990!!!) and built it up as I went along using money from the job I had as a schoolboy at the local Greengrocer.

I fitted the best equipment I could afford at the time including Shimano 105 gearing/crank (the infamous Biopic II oval chainwheel)/PD A550 'Aero' Pedals, and 600 tri-colour brakes. 3T handlebar stem, Avocet Gel seat and Mavic MA40 rims.

This was my pride and joy until I passed my driving test at 17, so the bike was pretty much resigned to the garage to stand and gather dust.
So now all original parts are being cleaned and polished back to their former glory. The rims will be fitted with new tyres along with new cables and bar tape, new decals have been made up for that finishing touch.

Hopefully all in time for summer!!

Below is the finished spec of the bike.

Frame: Dawes Equinox (circa 1985) Reynolds 531 tubing

Fork: Reynolds 531

Headset: Shimano 105
Stem: 3ttt
Handlebar: -
Bar Tape: Cinelli Cork (to be applied)

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Exage SLR Motion
Brake Calipers: Shimano 600 tri-colour
Brake Pads: Shimano 600
Brake Cables: Standard cables, white (to be fitted)

Shifters: Shimano 105 SIS
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Derailleur Cables: Standard cables
Cassette: Shimano MF T720
Chain: -
Cranks: Shimano Biopace II
Chainrings: Shimano Biopace II
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 105
Pedals: Shimano PD-A550 Vintage Aero Road Pedals

Rims: Mavic MA-40
Hubs: Miche
Hub Skewers: -
Nipples: -
Spokes: -
Tyres: Michelin Dynamic Classic
Tubes: Standard Halfords

Saddle: GUB
Seatpost: -
Seatpost Binder: -

Bottle Cage: Elite
Extras: Cateye odometer

Weight:-

Some photos:

Shot taken back in 1993:

Start of the Resto....

New Tyres Fitted:

Thoughts/opinions welcome.

Cheers, Mark (Catho)

hamster":3h2m0188 said:
I do like Dawes, they always have an understated classiness about them. It's going to be worth it!

Thanks hamster. Yes, it's already looking good just fitting the new (retro look) amber wall tyres, also keeping it subtle with the red and white theme.

The original frame had blue and white banded decals running diagonally down all the tubes but I want to keep it simple now with just the name 'DAWES' on the down tube and 'EQUINOX' along the top in white.

Re:

Very nice :D .The MA40's look great with the red frame. If pushed, I'd say to put a black (or white) Turbo or similar saddle on it.

Re: Re:

nonowt":24xnkxna said:
Very nice :D .The MA40's look great with the red frame. If pushed, I'd say to put a black (or white) Turbo or similar saddle on it.

Thanks nonowt.

As the first photo shows it had a black Avocet Spenco Gel saddle on it back in the day, I'd love to put this back on it as I still have it although slightly perished and faded now.

I've been on eBay looking for an identical replacement but I think they're as rare as hens teeth now. I like the white seat as I want to stick with the simple red and white theme. Just ordered white brake cables and white perforated (with red showing through the perfs) bar tape.

Ret spotter":28jnebh4 said:
Love to see people going back to their old bikes and reno.... Nice work

Cheers mate, this bike was my pride and joy as a teenager so I owe the old girl a spruce up after so many years of her resting.

Re:

Nice bike! Can't believe that's the original paintwork, it's come up really well. I'm a bit of a Dawes fan, I've got a 92 Edge(which is currently...er...resting) and a modern ish Discovery Twin tandem. Hope you enjoy riding it again.

Regards

Marge

Thanks Marge, just a bit of elbow grease and the paintwork came up like new!!

That added with the new cables and polished up brightwork and it looks like new, very pleased with it.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back