Dave Lloyd, with a difference

Re:

Right, the build proper has begun, so, old Stronglight headset parts removed, new identical new parts installed along with the crown race onto the forks. Forks trimmed and filed. BB checked and non driveside locking ring cleaned and reinstalled. Brakes fitted properly, cranks fitted properly after having the chainrings installed. F&R mechs fitted properly along with dt 8 speed shifters (all Dura Ace). Seat bolt installed properly. Stem cleaned inside to remove several pounds of old grease... well, a couple of grammes at least. Bars fitted, seat tightened and time to sit.... pulled the stem up a little, but it's still gonna be arse high nose on the stem, not the right bike for a leisurely sportive then.

A few bits and bobs needed which I will get on order for delivery this week.

Yer she be.

DSC_0058.JPG

Re:

Thanks, I think my back will be fine, but I'm anticipating looking down at the front wheel... a lot.

Re: Re:

NeilM":1inni2ml said:
Thanks, I think my back will be fine, but I'm anticipating looking down at the front wheel... a lot.

I'm not surprised with the bars at that angle! :LOL: :LOL:

Turn them up mate, you're not Sean Yates! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Looking nice though Neil :cool:

Mike

Mike Muz 67":p7d20zkq said:
Turn them up mate, you're not Sean Yates!
I will, as you are quite correct I'm not.

They are still going to be a long way down though, as the picture gives no impression of how small the bike is compared to a 700c wheeled road bike. It is light, apart from the HG50 cassette I have fitted, I can see why Dave went for aluminium in his original build.

Re:

It's done, finished, completed.

It got held up by weather and wandering tools (No.1 son), but here it is, ready to ride..... as soon as the wind drops and it stops threatening to rain at any moment.

Ride report soon, but for now, pichurs.

DSC_0053_zps8bqyyt7s.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsrefjsbpf.jpg

I have had to make one or two changes from the original spec, the BLB forks in place of the titanium originals and also the Shimano / Mavic's in place of the FiR carbon wheels. I also have a USE seatpost fitted at present as the X-Lite I have does not want to fit. I have also used USE SpinStix skewers (blue of course) as I have no idea what it originally wore, but they seem to fit with the general ethos of lightweight.

Dura Ace downtube shifters are set to 8 speed SIS and appear to function brilliantly, but more on that once I have ridden using them.

Re:

Looks great, Neil! :cool:

Nowt wrong with those wheels, Open4CD by the looks of them. And the chainset definitely suits the bike.

But most of all, I say most of all

I love your white bar tape! :LOL: :LOL:

Everyone comes around in the end! :roll:

First ride report is positive I hope

Mike

Re:

Thanks Mike, I think the chances of me finding either the correct set of forks or wheels are pretty remote and I must say it is still pretty light although I've not yet weighed it.

That tape. :facepalm: Easy enough to wrap, but I daren't touch anything in the workshop when I was wrapping as it shows every grubby mark.

Still, I think I have achieved the look I am after, now we just have to see how it rides.

NeilM":b99npru1 said:
Thanks Mike, I think the chances of me finding either the correct set of forks or wheels are pretty remote and I must say it is still pretty light although I've not yet weighed it.

That tape. :facepalm: Easy enough to wrap, but I daren't touch anything in the workshop when I was wrapping as it shows every grubby mark.

Still, I think I have achieved the look I am after, now we just have to see how it rides.

Looks great Neil!

Keep a bag of babywipes near white-bar-taped bikes at all times. A quick wipe of the tape with a baby-wipe will sort out most marks if done immediately.

Also invest in a few packs of handy-wipes for taking on rides. They only weigh a few grammes and can get you out of all sorts of mucky situations.

Trust me, there is nothing more annoying than fixing something like a dropped chain and then not being able to clean your hands well enough to avoid putting an oily mark on your gleaming white bar tape.

Back