Elswick Super Sprint

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Evening Retrobikers....
Have just collected an Elswick (£20, btw), looks pretty original: Huret 10-speed, Weinmann levers with suicide bars, odd calipers with what looks like 'Slow' engraved on the front one), no-name rims and hubs (as far as I can tell), OLD 126mm - frame number stamped on the bottom bracket begins with 'S'. I'm guessing it's not 1963 (after http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/frame-numb ... ing-guide/ listing) as the decals look way too '80's and there's no head badge. But removing the old metalised sticker, it looks like someone's brazed over a rivet hole, the paints a different red and there's some brazing scurf... and the rest of the decals all look a bit, well, crappy.
Appreciate any ideas on its' history, can't find much so guess it's rather an unloved steel workhorse?

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 726
Re:

My first proper bike was one of these. Loved it, cycled to school on it, cycled to work on it. In my holiday, I tarted it up and put a double chainset on it. Looked great.
Then someone came flying out of a junction and totalled it. I went over the car.

The driver asked if I was ok? I soon answered that! He didn't like it.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it, but I can't offer any guidance I'm afraid.

Mike

Back