Ribble 653 - hack

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Bought the frame complete last December, it was fitted with dura ace STI's, 9 speed ultegra wheels and so on - it got stripped and was redundant in my loft for a few weeks.

Fast forward to last weekend and I built it up with a load of redundant kit from a 531cs Barry Hoban bike I bought via the forum about 3 weeks ago.

It's a bit of a retro-mod as the components are older than the frame. Plans are to fit some matching Campagnolo brakes and get the wheels trued up as well but it rides pretty good so far.

Ribble 653 frame/forks
Gipiemme Azzurro crankset
Gipiemme Azzurro hubs; unknown wheels
Campagnolo triomphe or Victory mechs
Gipiemme brakes
Riba stem
ITM (I think) bars
Weinmann levers
Gipiemme azzurro seatpost
San Marco Rolls saddle

16790144_1432706176774476_5557568083364675584_n.jpg

Nice build
I'd go for some Gipiemme brake levers and mechs as you've almost a full set already.

So nearly a year on and after it sitting in my mates shed since last June I've decided to pop her back on the road. Will get some pics in due course :)

Here we go:

Full RX100 groupset, (slightly more modern 105 levers), Mavic Open 20 wheels, RX100 hubs, Cinelli bars and stem. Rides really smooth, can't knock the RX100 gear!

The RX100 is a really useable GS I just don't like the outer chainring its spoiling the look of the bike for me. But have to say it looks better the second time around. Nice work :)

RX100 is a massively underrated group.
I prefered it to 105SC as it looked better being shiny BITD.

Lovely Ribble BTW.

Remember the ads in the Comic.

Back