Nigel Dean Triathlon - Suntour Ole group

rapepper

Retro Guru
Picked this up recently on impulse as new the name and had the 531 frame. Wasn't familiar with the Ole group-set. Some searching has revealed a little but it's still quite a mismatch - pedals by MKS, Accushift shifters by Suntor, calipers by Dia Compe yet all white with the Ole logo.

Unfortunately it's a little bit scruffier than it looks in the picture with quite a few rust spots:(

%24_86.JPG

Need to decide it it's worth a repaint/powder coat. Alternatively I could through spares at it as a single speed hack for the summer.

Any opinions?

Ahh, I missed out on this by the skin of my teeth!

It's way too big for me anyhow, but glad to see it go to someone on here :)

MartinB123":2feqkglu said:
Ahh, I missed out on this by the skin of my teeth!

It's way too big for me anyhow, but glad to see it go to someone on here :)
TBH it's too big for me too. I keep thinking it looks OK in the photo and finding 62cm frames. I nearly said I'd leave it but I driven quite a way so decided to take a punt and see what it's like to ride.

rapepper":1eumv5hi said:
it's still quite a mismatch - pedals by MKS, Accushift shifters by Suntor, calipers by Dia Compe yet all white with the Ole logo.

Suntour out-sourced a lot of the parts they sold to other Japanese manufacturers - Dia Compe, MKS, Sugino etc - why spend a load of money on tooling when you can get the crank/pedal experts to build it for you? Ole was Suntour's answer to Shimano Sante, also white and somewhere near the top of the range, it's fairly hard to find now, but not particularly sought after.

Rod_Saetan":1rnt614l said:
rapepper":1rnt614l said:
it's still quite a mismatch - pedals by MKS, Accushift shifters by Suntor, calipers by Dia Compe yet all white with the Ole logo.

Suntour out-sourced a lot of the parts they sold to other Japanese manufacturers - Dia Compe, MKS, Sugino etc - why spend a load of money on tooling when you can get the crank/pedal experts to build it for you? Ole was Suntour's answer to Shimano Sante, also white and somewhere near the top of the range, it's fairly hard to find now, but not particularly sought after.
Thanks - I came to pretty much the same conclusion after some searching.

Now that I've trued the wheels, replaced most of the inners and re-taped the bars I took it out this morning for a short ride. Not sure I'm a fan of the 20c tyres but other than that it rides quite well :)

Back