1952 Hill Special Path Racer - new pics!

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, after this thread, I thought I'd give it a proper build thread.

The serial number confirms it as late 1952. Condition is very good for 65 years old with only a little pitting around the seatclamp and inside the forks.

Tubing is very thin walled, most likely Reynolds and chrome plated. It has a Brampton headset, possibly 'Alatet' and GB Kromo stem and 'Map of Britain bars.

Seatpost measures around 27mm. BB is standard threading soooooo...

I have a contemporary Campagnolo Gran Sport chrome rear mech and a set of period Gran Sport hubs on 40/32 Fiamme rims.

It must have had a rebuild at some point as it came with later 1960/70s Simplex and Weinmann parts.

The Weinmann centre pulls will stay, at least the front as I think this would have been a flip flop fixed wheel.

I'm going hipster brown/ tan with the tape to match an old Wrights saddle that I have.

I would like to replace the flaky chromed cotter Simplex with a square taper axle - I cant stand cotter pins!

I wont be ruining this too much, I just want to ride it!

file.php

file.php

09.jpg

10.jpg

Re: 1952 Hill Special Path Racer

I'm thinking they are not the wheels you intend to use are they ? surely need 27inch

BTW its cleaned up nice and glad you found out what it is

kingbling":azlyg7mk said:
I'm thinking they are not the wheels you intend to use are they ? surely need 27inch

BTW its cleaned up nice and glad you found out what it is

I did have this discussion and the clearances speak 700c rather than 27.

And besides, 700c is all I got!

I 'aint got nuffin!

I've got the wheels that came with it which are 700c tubular/ sprint so they'll be the ones on my kind of budget.

Re:

By sheer curiosity, what would a english square taper choice crankset during that period ?

I agree with you "cotter pins sucks !". A nice frame like that deserves square taper

In France , we are lucky as the Stronglight 49D ( with the 5 bolt fixture system ) is pretty easily found, as well as Specialités TA rings which both look the part and are period correct for a reasonnable price !

Finally its true the brake drop looks BIG !

Spokesmann":q8jqiy1q said:
Nothing wrong with cotter pins.

Ok I may have been a bit harsch but I would answer that there may be quite a few reasons why it lost its appeal technically speaking :idea: :mrgreen:

True I have been spoiled as one of my bikes of 1938 got the first stronglight square taper crankset model ( as well as annular bearings bottom bracket

The front wheel isnt all the way in so ignore the drop at present.

I may use a taper Stronglight anyway but for now it will be whatever I have to see if I actually like the thing.

Budget limitations and practicality means I'm going for a 1950s bicycle with a 1970's style retromod rather than trying to source just 1950's components which, frankly, are too expensive and to scarce.

I have some very nice drilled Dia-Comp Gran-Compe levers. I will keep the Weinmann centre pulls.

Now just need to source some mechs - might splurge on some Nuovo or posh looking Simplex if budget allows.

I may go single speed with a flip flop hub but thats a while away yet - will just fit nice chrome bits for cable guides and stops.

Chainset is gawd only knows though!

Back