Franco / Italian Ti Retro Mod

Chapeau! Velo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I thought I'd put up a build thread on my 97 Lapierre 24 Carot Titane frame that I aquired from here, ahem, a couple of years ago :oops: The intention is to sympatheticly retro-mod this frame and if anyone read / followed my Serotta build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=334469 you will see why I still have this itch to scratch (as I completly failed with my original intention to retro-mod that frame!).

In my view, retro Ti frames are easier and more forgiving (on the eye at least) to mod with some carefully chosen modern parts so I'm hoping to create something that unashamedly has a traditional Ti look with some quality modern parts without looking like a dogs dinner. In a departure to the usual american Ti, this build will be a continental affair which hopefully wouldn't look out of place with a grande crem in the Village square....

So, the donor frame - a 1997 54cm (CTC) Lapierre 24 Carot Titane. The frame was sent off to Enigma http://www.enigmabikes.com for a professional re-brushing (I know that this is easily done at home but the pro finish is important) and whilst there Enigma re-produced the original down tube and head tube decals, masked, and bead blasted them in.
The result is pure understated stealth and will hopefully tie in with the contemporary look that I'm after.

As for parts, a 1" Columbus threadless minimal carbon fork is already in the spares bin plus I had a retro Ti Syncros seatpost refurbed at the same time which should look good with the frame's pinch bolt seat tube. A couple of (crap) taster pictures below as it arrived back today with some hi(er) res pics at this link https://1drv.ms/f/s!Avn7qTMJhwubiXrkWJmlNKqBwyrf :

Attachments

• IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 695
Re:

That's a very high quality re-finish. Following with interest as I have a '93 Kona Haole which I might take down the same route.

Re:

Parts are starting to come in including an nice 11sp Campag Carbon Chorus groupset :D To complement, a set of Campag Neutron Ultras and I splashed out on a 1" threadless sotto voice King headset. Cockpit will be Thomson X2 with Thomson carbon bars and Fizik Arione saddle to finish off.

Probably the quickest build I've ever done now I've got my arse in gear :facepalm:

Re: Re:

MatBH5":1tn3hs4z said:
That's a very high quality re-finish. Following with interest as I have a '93 Kona Haole which I might take down the same route.

I can recommend. Frame came back like new and Jim was excelllent to deal with. Although if I had a rare Kona like yours I'd probably stick to repro vinyl decals vice bead blasting them in!

Back