1981 SBDU Dynaflite TT Reynolds 753 Aero Tubing

That's the problem with AX, the rear derailleur wont work, AX is over the top of the BB and no chainstay stop - however, the aero calipers and brake levers, headset, single ring chainset and pedals etc would look great. It may even be a similar shade of blue for the lever hoods. I have a full 600AX group but may look into Duraace AX for this frame.

Mike Mullett from the SBDU commented on this frame the other day and said he built it, probably one of the first. He recalls maybe another 2 that he built and there is another one I've seen on the Yahoo group, so that is 4 frames so far.

I've been looking at the rear AX derailleur and it looks like it might work with an outer cable - I've always used these with the std inner cable setup but this actually works and the cable run/pull is really smooth so it might be possible to use this. I just removed the plastic guide that the inner cable runs through and the outer sits in the groove. The arm of the derailleur that carries the cable is independent of the gear so doesn't move and seems to work, a pull of the inner and the gear moves as it should.

This kit is in good condition and just needs a clean.

This frame is 1981 and the kit came out in 1981 so seems a shame not to try and use it. It might not end up being all about weight on this TT bike but with this frame and kit I guess it is all about being aero.

Attachments

• 600AX Rear Cable.jpg
    600AX Rear Cable.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 693
  • 600AX Brake.jpg
    600AX Brake.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 693
  • 600AX Seat Pin.jpg
    600AX Seat Pin.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 693
Re:

Love the frame and it's rarity but I think that rear mech looks a bit bulky... Minalmist and super lightweight equipment would complement the frame as well. :D

I agree.

To be honest, I'm totally torn between the AX look and something like the Huret - I have a 1979 753 Time Trial Special that I think would suit the Huret setup much better. But so far the 1981 build year of the Dynaflite frame and the 1981 release date of the AX parts, together with the aero nature of the frame tubes and the parts is slightly ahead.

Re:

An interesting and eccentric frameset. I know of two of these frames* - neither owners are in the Yahoo group (nor am I). I also recall seeing in the flesh the brochure (gold) frame many years ago.

I also know of frames in this tubeset by other builders.

Jon.
*one featured in my little book.

Back