Cougars in Captivity

Re:

Colin,

What's the serial number? Mine are (according to Terry D) probably around 1994/5 down to the Long Shen bottom bracket (stylised propeller/3 leaf clover cutout and a blocky secondary rear mech cable guide). Serial numbers are in the 7700's and mid 8000's

What's the mech?

Re: Cougars in Captivity - right zoo this time

Here's my second one, i'll post both just for completeness!

First one is a bit of a commuter - 42T single chainring with 6 speed close range suntour block with Shimano 600 rear mech. 3T stem with 3T cut-up bars

Second is full 9 speed Campag Chorus with Mavic Krysium SL SSC wheels, carbon seatpost etc etc

15803610_1059519377490173_1396949739500470272_n.jpg

Re:

Nice paintjobs on both, Martin.

I think my Fluorescent Miami Dolphin Cougar is still ahead in the loudest Cougar out there though...

What does the green one weigh in at? I was amazed when "Dolph" came in at 8.8kg as pictured. Weight wasn't a factor in the build, but I'd expected heavier.

Re: Re:

jackosbournesnr":rv01sq5v said:
Nice paintjobs on both, Martin.

I think my Fluorescent Miami Dolphin Cougar is still ahead in the loudest Cougar out there though...

What does the green one weigh in at? I was amazed when "Dolph" came in at 8.8kg as pictured. Weight wasn't a factor in the build, but I'd expected heavier.

Will weigh her once she's done!

Re:

I'm keeping my eyes open for a Cougar now.

There is one on ebay in my size, but it's too far away and the paint is not nearly loud enough.

Mech is an FD7700, all it says on the BB shell is Everest.

Cheers bud, just found those ones on SJS too, no idea what that "Everest" stamp is about, my original Cougar is still on the road and that was a 1994 custom made one. I regret selling it and couldn't believe my luck when this one came up on eBay.

Re:

Everest are Taiwanese lug and BB shell manufacturers like Long Shen.

When I asked about my first Cougars age (based on serial number), I got the impression from Terry Dolan that he used lots of different component manufacturers for frame parts.

I know Cinelli shells and lugs appear on some frames, so thats at least 3 types of bottom bracket.

I've also seen Cinelli, "Cougar", Columbus and Gipiemme dropouts and there may well be more!

No idea if he offered these as part of the custom options on top of the choice of Reynolds, Columbus or Dedacciai tubing and all the variants under each of those manufacturers.

Back