Cougars in Captivity

Re: Cougars in Captivity - right zoo this time

I was going to post this in the "show us what you did today" thread, but I didn't take any photos in the mist up on the moor roads. It was just above zero and I wasn't stopping!

Too much salt on the roads for Dolph the Cougar to get its first proper ride, so it was the "plain" Cougar that headed out to test last weeks wheel repair following a broken nipple.

The wheel was absolutely fine... the gremlins had moved elsewhere though...

First up, the rear mech was rubbing ever so slightly on the spokes when in the 26... quick tighten of the limit screw and a half turn on the cable adjuster and its sorted... 5 minutes later I'm on a 15% climb and drop the chain at the front!

I've been having minor issues with the rear of the drivetrain on this bike since I got it. I suspect there may have been a couple of elements not quite in alignment, so I've finally bitten the bullet and invested in a derailleur hanger alignment tool, some files to clear the excess powdercoat completely out of the dropouts and some taps to chase the mech hanger threads and the dropout adjuster threads.

Need to find a fan heater for the bike shed if the weather doesn't warm up!

Apparently you can screw a wheel , yes a whole wheel, into the mech hanger to check alignment and give it a little tweak. Not done it but read about it on here.

Re:

I'd maybe consider that if stuck in the wilds... Using a super stiff wheel.

Would not like to try that with a lightweight box section rimmed wheel.

More to see the parallelness in all directions to your actual wheel than to use as a jemmy.

Perpendicularlity would be a better choice of word?

Re:

I have just used an axle in the past. After applying a little bit of heat.

I've no idea of the age of my frame, bought it about 2 years ago on eBay so the add isn't viewable anymore. Struggling to find adjustment screws for my front mech, thought they'd be dead easy to find.

Back