Colnago Master Olympic

beepbeep

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Since I missed the sublime ride of my first Colnago Master that I sold last year (see thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=360672) I've now bought a second, this time an Olympic.

Here's the initial mock-up. Sorry about the non-drive side pic but I'm in the process of de-logoing the wheels and the other side still screams EASTON at uncomfortable volumes (the front and rear wheels will of course match, the Mavic front I had to hand when taking the pic).

It'll be my only road bike, to be ridden in anger, so I'm going for a modern build with a (cough) Shimano groupset.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpg
    IMG_6320.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,813
Nice frameset wheels are not me and nothing wrong with shimano very reliable I've only got 2 bikes with campagnolo out of 16.
I've been looking at Colnago's all week such nice paint jobs but the price of them and as to wether they will ride any better than my 653's it's hard to justify that amount of money.

kingbling":2unjkks2 said:
Nice frameset wheels are not me and nothing wrong with shimano very reliable I've only got 2 bikes with campagnolo out of 16.
I've been looking at Colnago's all week such nice paint jobs but the price of them and as to wether they will ride any better than my 653's it's hard to justify that amount of money.

what size are you looking for and what's your budget? Maybe you're closer to a Colnago than you think. ;-)

Re:

Nowt wrong with Shimano on a Colnago - didn't hear anyone say that you couldn't put 7700 on a Mapei C40 :cool: However, I draw the line with Shimano on a Sarroni red Super :facepalm:

Re:

Thanks for the comments :D
Perhaps it's time to start a Shimanolics Anonymous group?

I've decided to build a 'test' bike first, using some spare parts that to be honest have no place on a nineties steel bike. If I like the ride and the set-up I'll then transfer the parts from my current ride onto it. Pics soon (maybe... :oops: )

At the same time I'm still in the process of removing the Easton graphics from the carbon wheels. This involves scraping a razor blade over the clear coat down to the decals underneath. Then some wet-and-dry work, finished off by spraying a new clear coat. Actually not as boring and laborious as I expected as progress is fairly quick, so long as the razors are sharp.
The rear is finished now and I'm pretty impressed by the result. Close up there are a few areas that I could have put a bit more time into, but overall it looks great. I've learnt some lessons along the way that I'll be using when working on the front wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_6438.jpg
    IMG_6438.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,504
  • IMG_6348.jpg
    IMG_6348.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2,504
Re:

So, today was the day...

Took it out for a quick spin to get a feel for the frame, and I'm happy to say that it did not disappoint! Something magical happens over 30 kph, feels like you're sitting on a cannonball :twisted: Love it!

As mentioned above it's a bit of a spare-parts build at the moment, the first thing to go is the aero chainset, then I'll play around with the cockpit - probably white contact points with black post and stem, or black contacts with polished.
Carbon ahead forks will be added too, the chrome looks so nice and really should be paired with the matching frame, but I found them a bit springy when compared with carbon. Carbon/ahead will also shave around 400 grams off the front end.

Something I was very surprised and pleased about was that the braze-on is positioned (only just) high enough to fit a 53t Rotor Q-ring, which my first earlier Master didn't.

The Easton wheels are finished now, and looking much better sans logos, but pictured are my winter wheels, as you can see there's still some winter laying around here ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7170.jpg
    IMG_7170.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 2,143
  • IMG_7178.jpg
    IMG_7178.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 2,142
Cheshire1980":29m0c7p9 said:
lovely that, I have a Master Olympic, team Lampre 1995, cough, and I also Don Shimano, lovely ride.

Ooh, gis a look then! ;)

I too have a soft spot for an art decor paint job. BTW, both Maei and Lampre used Shimano g/sets in the '90s! It would certainly be my preferance

Nice one Neil! Stealth wheels? ;)

Mike

Re:

:LOL:
I should get the decals on, the frame actually has some yellow accents which would match perfectly.

Back