Raleigh 753 TT Special - Not a Bike Just Yet!!

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
Here's one for the new year......

I picked this up as a complete bike in August (Ebay find) and stripped a bit of the spray can respray back to reveal the original colour (green to pearl white fade) as well as the transfers. The owner had no idea what come over him to respray it, but he was young at the time!

This will be going to get a respray in the new year, and will be build up with whatever I can find to start with. However, over time I would like it to be full period correct Super Record, with some very lightweight wheels (18mm Assos?).

Can't wait to get it on the road to be honest as I have wanted a 753 SBDU for a long time. I have had other SBDU's and other 753's, but never the two in one!

Anyway, here is a few pics to document the start of the build process.

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• F&F.jpg
    F&F.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • BB Above.jpg
    BB Above.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • HT.jpg
    HT.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,012
  • TT.jpg
    TT.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • TT HT.jpg
    TT HT.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,012
Raleigh did a special lightweight paint for the Special which was gold or silver , it was more like a light dusting of nail varnish :)

What year is it?

Just a bit jealous but it's too small for me thank goodness :)

Shaun

The Gold painted versions of this were absolutely gorgeous - if it was mine, I'd get to sprayed in gold - it was so subtle; beautiful in fact!

I seem to remember the Ti Raleigh riders occasionally riding TT's on the gold ones too…..but I might be making that up!

velocipede":mhi7jzka said:
The Gold painted versions of this were absolutely gorgeous - if it was mine, I'd get to sprayed in gold - it was so subtle; beautiful in fact!

I seem to remember the Ti Raleigh riders occasionally riding TT's on the gold ones too…..but I might be making that up!

Yep, before aero took off it was all about weight reduction.... Raleigh messed about with magnesium alloy kit and worried about the weight of the paint, the gold was meant to be lighter than the red/black livery, Raleigh would also paint your frame with the thinnest paint possible, it was so thin you could see the metal underneath but in pictures looked gold.....

Shaun

the 1981 25 mile TT champ rode one & he also did a 49 minute ride on it 1 week before the national

Midlife":3fr40hjb said:
Raleigh did a special lightweight paint for the Special which was gold or silver , it was more like a light dusting of nail varnish :)

What year is it?

Just a bit jealous but it's too small for me thank goodness :)

Shaun
Hi Shaun

It's a 1985, low 7600's frame number.

Cheers
Matt

Nob":g0dmzxwx said:
the 1981 25 mile TT champ rode one & he also did a 49 minute ride on it 1 week before the national

I'll be happy with a 1:09!

Hopefully get it ready in time for the Coalville Wheelers early season two up in March. Get a mate who also fancies it in a non-aero retro stylee.

Back