Early Dave Lloyd - Another One

Re:

I've been pondering what to do with this chap.

I'm thinking maybe a lightweight tourer, with vintage rear rack, maybe a Carradice saddle bag, Stronglight or other suitable age (mid 70's to 80's) triple crankset, bar end shifters.

I think I could pretty easily spring the frame to take some 126mm Mavic 500 hubs I have, not sure how many speed freewheel I could squeeze in, 6 would be perfect.

Just a train of thought....

First job still, is to release all the stuck stuff.

Re:

Well, some progress made today.

Drive side Sugino BB cup removed pretty easily, gave the seat post another dose of GT85 and a Gggggrrrrrrr with the stud pliers, nothing. Gave the stem the GT85 treatment then turned the frame upside down and squirted plenty on the stem wedge. Once it had all disappeared up towards the headset I turned the frame over and discovered the Milreo Course stem has an Imperial allen bolt, so I did some work on my tourer while I tried to remember where the Imperial allen keys are. Gave the seatpost some heat and then another squirt of GT85 and a Ggggrrrrrr... nope. Two hours later with minimum fuss the stem came out, so I figured best of three and Gggggrrrrrr ahhhhgggg, nope. Need to get some coke or plusgas or slide hammer or all three. Seatpost is a 27.0 Birmalux, not that that makes any odds to anyhow.

Dropout to dropout (mid point of the rear) is about 38 1/2", and without the stem and cup the frame is very light and all the tubes 'ring' well.

Frame number is 550 and the BB shell is a casting which has been filed on the underside I assume to remove some casting marks. Also, under the black paint is either a primer or a light powder blue colour, although the Dave Lloyd transfers are original and are water slide, exactly the same as my red frame before restoration.

So some progress and a seat post that I am going to have to get creative with.

Re:

Bit of a project you have there Neil!

Look forward to seeing it brought back to life

Mike

Re:

It's been pouring with rain all day, so after visiting the horses to do all the field chores it was into the garage for a tidy and to get that damn seatpost out.

Cutting a very long story short in the end the only way to get it out was to use a hacksaw blade to take a piece out of the very soft alloy post. This must have taken well over an hour and I had to make a few cuts until I was finally able to peel out a slice at which point the rest of the post was released.

The alloy was so corroded that it took me about twenty minutes with a combination of a half round file and a flap stick in a battery drill to get the inside of the seat tube clean. All done now.

I still can't decide about paint, do I clean it as best I can and then give it a couple of coats of matt clear, as there is a lot of surface rust, or find a local body shop that could put a few coats of paint on, redo the lug lining myself, or have it powder coated. I know they are only original once and all that but doing nothing is not really an option.

Running gear wise, I found some Shimano 600 Arabesque cranks in the garage along with a slightly later Shimano seatpost. I also have a pair of early Cinelli Giro D'Italia handlebars and I still have some black cloth bar tape left over from the other 70's Lloyd,so that's a few bits less to find.

Re:

The very early Lloyd's had water slide letters and a white letters on a black head badge. When I had my red one repainted, Argos were able to get the letters made, but not the black background badge, so it has the later and incorrect white background badge, at some point I will replace the badge.

The more I think about it, the more I think I should give the frame a thorough clean and then put a couple of coats of clear lacquer on it.

Latest posts

Back