Early Dave Lloyd - Another One

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have a bit of a thing for Dave Lloyd frames, even those he probably didn't make himself, I have four, two road bikes and two mountain bikes.

Actually I now have five, as I saw this sorry looking chap on ebay and when the price dropped I had to have it.

It is very early model, probably late 70's, I can tell this from the decals mostly, but the 120mm rear spacing and band on shifters also give me a clue. What is interesting is the wrap over seatstays and the lining detail, all very well done in gold. There are also some nicely installed bottle cage bosses, they look original which is asurprise as my 1978 Lloyd has stand off type bosses.

I have no plans at all at present, as it must have a new coat of paint and I am almost certain I have a stuck BB cup, seatpost and stem.

DSC_0055_zps13behiel.jpg

DSC_0056_zpspzv7cf9i.jpg

This one gives a general impression of the condition.

DSC_0060_zpselorzpcc.jpg

And some general shots

DSC_0065_zpssasiiwyw.jpg

DSC_0064_zpsr2mu25uu.jpg

DSC_0066_zpsazozby14.jpg

This is the type of head badge decal that should be on my 78, but as Argos could not get one when they painted the frame I have a later white one.... and I'm the only one that is bothered by that.

Re:

I have absolutely no idea what I will end up doing with it, but it had to be saved.

Stuck stuff will be a bit of a winter challenge and if all else fails I'll just get Argos to do it. :facepalm:

I'm guessing the tubes are Reynolds as it is pretty light.

Like to hazard a guess at the age Shaun?

Yep, needed saving :)

Looks like early to mid 70's, I guess there are no Portacatena holes in the rear dropouts. The braze on for the outer cable to the front mech went out of fashion as the 70's went on. Pound to a penny it's 531.

The braze ons are a bit hit and miss which it typical of the era. The official excuse was that it allowed the buyer to get all the clips from Campag.. however the economy wasn't great and I think it was the frame makers saving money lol.

There's another Dave Lloyd on eBay but I think it's near to £200 ....

Cheers

Shaun

Signing in for updates - great save Neil, looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

Midlife":3gc25je4 said:
There's another Dave Lloyd on eBay but I think it's near to £200 ....

Cheers

Shaun

There are several there every day, I know this because I look...every day.

The yellow one is pretty much the same as my 78 clubman's, but I don't need another.

Simon, you might have a long wait, I don't have the slightest clue what I want to do with this yet and I have a tourer, a King gravel bike, a Lemond and another Rourke also waiting to be built. :facepalm:

Still, you're not a chap to rush a restoration yourself, so I guess you have plenty of patience. :mrgreen:

NeilM":3hsj10de said:
Still, you're not a chap to rush a restoration yourself, so I guess you have plenty of patience. :mrgreen:

LOL! You can't rush these things :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Midlife":2jw8g5vh said:
It was this one that caught my eye. Fastback, over BB cable guides and a WTF braze on for the front mech :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Dave ... 2735541833

Shaun

Yup, that's the kiddie, similar period to my red one I think, albeit with some stand out differences.

I don't know who was making these frames, some may have been Dave, my red one definitely wasn't as the serial number is all wrong.

This new (old) one only appears to have a couple of numbers on the BB, but I need to look at little closer.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Looks like early to mid 70's, I guess there are no Portacatena holes in the rear dropouts.
Yeah but holes or not, those 'short' Campag. road ends weren't around until about '76 at the earliest iirc- for sure they are not in the '75 catalogue. But then by that time also 120mm rear end was moving towards obsolescence, as were rear brake cables held in place by three chrome clips. So a bit of a weird one, if all original. The combination of 120 rear end and the short dropouts likely dates this frame to within a year or so in itself.
All things considered I'd guess 1977... or whatever year it was that those short ends came on the market..

What's the wheelbase? just to get an idea of whether it is 'road' or 'time trial' .. I'd be able to guesstimate if there were some wheels! I guess the cable stop for the front changer points to 'road', but that cable stop is also a bit anachronistic for mid-late '70s..

Back