CoyoteUltralight MavicMektronic wireless gears from the 90's

Doubledee

rBotM Winner
Fettled up my Coyote Ultralight with Mavic Mektronic wireless gears that dates from the late 1990's this weekend.

Well Mavic beat everyone to it with the wireless mektronic gears by about 16 years an update to the wired and equally flaky ZAP! lots of issues with build quality and interference and terrible reviews killed it along with bad timing with the Adidas purchase of Mavic that shut down their component research facility to focus on clothing and wheels only :-( Who knows what might have come next ... I got hold of a decent set a while back. Its digital radio rather than bluetooth, batteries in the computer head unit speed sensor and 9 speed rear mech, the brake lever has 2 switches for gear change but its wired to the computer (well SRAM eTap blips are hard wired too). Mine work flawlessly thankfully. I got an excellent pair of Mavic Helium red wheels shod with Vittoria open cross CX 23C, Campag Chorus chainset from a mate (free!) essentially new old stock. ITM finishing kit all really built up with my old parts from the 1990's. More modern brakes, and front mech campag Veloce, and saddle Seller Italia X1.

The Coyote Ultralight frames were about the lightest in their day, and coupled with the Look one piece carbon fork that was also the lightest fork available (that was safe! no bonded aluminium steerers!) bring the bikes weight in at... 8.1Kg (17.9lbs). I don't normally weigh my retro bikes but seriously Ive got an Argon 18 Nitrogen with SRAM Force 22 thats 7.1 Kg!

Attachments

• Coyote levers.jpg
    Coyote levers.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 703
  • Coyote drive train.jpg
    Coyote drive train.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 703
  • Coyote side.jpg
    Coyote side.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 703
Re: Re:

fossala":1nl4t411 said:
How comfortable are the brake levers?

They are good as they are thin, lots of hand positions for a flat back, though not as good as the ones I had on Look that i regrettably sold on :-(

Attachments

• Look KG196 Mavic Mektronic.jpg
    Look KG196 Mavic Mektronic.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 692
Nob":qo9q4awe said:
the Look is so much better :)
I agree , needs must when I had to sell :-((, rode the look in local 25TT last year road like a dog quite heavy , but looked ace :) nothing to with the rider of course haha

Back