New Colnago Arabesque Build-New Pics! Almost Finished!

larrytx01

Dirt Disciple
I have placed an order for a brand new red Arabesque frame from Colnago. I am in the process of getting the other bits, group set, wheels, seat ect.. and expect everything to come together after the new year. Currently, Colanago has about a two month wait and we are in the holiday season as well. I have thought about what to do with this build. Should I go full Eroica and get NOS period parts or attempt to build my own modern version utilizing the latest tech, but keep the retro aesthetic? After much deliberation, I decided to make a thoroughly modern bike and keep the components as close to traditional looking as much as possible. My goal is to have a beautifully classic bike, not sacrifice performance and to pass off as an heirloom some day. Of course there are some budgetary limitations, but with the Euro rate as low as it is here in Italy, it was time to take the plunge. Basic elements will be Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel set with Campagnolo Potenza groupset. I plan to substitute the Potenza crank for an Athena crank as I think the Athena crank looks more traditional and I don't think performance will be affected. For whatever reason, Colnago sells the Arabesque with a threadless steering tube, even though their adverts clearly show a quill stem. I will have the fork tube threaded and quill stem installed. I can't bear the thought of an Arabesque with an out of proportion modern head stem. It may look fine on a Master, but not the Arabesque. Finally, I have a custom seat with matching leather handlebar tape inbound from Texas to crown the build (see pics below). Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Larry

Attachments

• ArabesqueLugs.jpg
    ArabesqueLugs.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,514
  • colnago-arabesque-head-red.jpg
    colnago-arabesque-head-red.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,510
  • athena-cranks-hi-600x444.jpg
    athena-cranks-hi-600x444.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,510
  • Two+tone+Fizik+Wingtip+Leh+seats+honey+brown+(1).jpg
    Two+tone+Fizik+Wingtip+Leh+seats+honey+brown+(1).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,510
  • FrameClose.jpg
    FrameClose.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,510
  • CampWheels.jpg
    CampWheels.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,503
  • Arabesqe.jpg
    Arabesqe.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,098
  • COLNAGO-ARABESQUE-RARD-1600x1085.jpg
    COLNAGO-ARABESQUE-RARD-1600x1085.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,076
Re: New Colnago Arabesque Build

that does look a beautiful frame

there isn't an emoji for blowing your cheeks out whilst holding your head in your hands! I can't fund one (unless I sell most of my retro collection) but want one! love to see the build even though its not strictly retro modern is correct component wise btw

I am definitely not trying to pass this build as pure retro (even though those beautiful lugs are said to be original thirty old Arabesque stock). I want it to be a combination of everything we love about steel retro bikes with the advantages of the latest tech with no apologies for performance.

I have heard it comes with the Ahead stem set up only? Did you specify the normal quill type stem?

It comes with a 1 inch steering tube which will have to be threaded locally when the frame arrives. It does not come threaded. Once it is threaded, I will put a normal quill as per the picture. For some reason, Colnago shows quills on their promotions, but does not offer a threaded tube in order to use a quill. You have to roll your own. Its one of those "retro" features that I am insisting on to keep the aesthetic and overall classic look of the bike.

Then Colnago are misleading buyers! As it should be an option IMO.

Glad you are keeping a quill set up as this frame looks much more classy.

You are right, I wasn't very happy about Colnago not offering that as an option. Fortunately, my LBS here in Italy agreed with me and is going to do the thread work and install a Campy Record headset. I agree, a quill will look much more classy instead of some big sausage erupting out of the fork tube.

Great to hear you have a bike shop that knows just how classy Colnagos should look like. Enjoy your build as I love one of these but house purchase has got in the way.....

Back