Sun Super Vitesse, 1951

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
OK, a lot of shots of this new acquisition. Need to do some research on this, but the overall look and feel of the frame, as well as cast lugs and BB shell, suggests late 40s/early 50s (TBC). 531 plain gauge tubing. 22" in size. Looks like its possibly been repainted on top of the black, although the decals which look original are on top of the blue, on top of the black... Bayliss Wiley BB needs some new grease as does the clamp type headset. Still making my mind up on this, but am thinking of GB sidepull Courier brakes, white ribbed cables, maybe blue, Brooks B17 (pre-used), GB bars and stem and Williams chainset. I may use the light blue celluloid guards from the Corinthian on this. The gears would probably have been something like a 3 or 4 speed two cable changer, most probably Cyclo or possibly Huret (??). Not sure about wheels, not sure if I'll even paint it yet!!

Any help on details and dating would be gratefully received.

PB267688_zps2bcwm7vg.jpg

PB267689_zpsqhjbankd.jpg

PB267690_zpsisa9phvp.jpg

PB267693_zpscgfntjal.jpg

PB267695_zpsz4yrac0m.jpg

SOV 13552

PB267699_zpsqtfrhzmo.jpg

PB267701_zps2aaygapk.jpg

PB267703_zpspnj2gvkc.jpg

PB267704_zpsi2ldxok6.jpg

PB267705_zpstlpa94zp.jpg

PB267706_zpskg45zxc4.jpg

PB267709_zpss3xbzaha.jpg

PB267712_zpssqjommwo.jpg

PB267715_zpsc1tqg8la.jpg

Re: Sun Super Vitesse 1940s/50s

You'll be able to date that from the letters on the dropout. All Suns and Parkes used the same convention. There was a table of codes and dates floating around but I can never find it :(

It's got early dropouts and 30s style mudguard mounts. With the clip headset I'd say it was early 40s at the latest, but there do seem to be a few 50s Suns on Classic Lightweights with head clips. The chrome fork may not be original but, saying that, it's got the same crown as my 38/39 Parkes.

After getting some further advice and a bit of digging around around, it is 51/52 and the forks and finish are original.

Re:

Lovely.

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to strip and paint it - the patina is too good on that one!!

Re:

Work continues on the Sun Super Vitesse. Regreased the headset and the BB shell. Both really needed it. The BB was a real bugger to set the lock ring free. A mixture of WD40, tapping and swearing won the day. Inners were pretty rancid with solid grease, grit and grime. It now runs pretty smoothly on clean balls and races and an ample application of lithium grease. The head races are now running smooth, again the lock ring here taking a little light persuation to move. The clip is not threaded. Done a little more cleaning and degreasing the frame. Im thinking of also using the Corinthian light blue guards from a similar period. They look just right. Im hoping to use 27" wheels on this machine, although I have an offer of some 26" steel rims.

The bike will be a usable modern day machine so Im most probably going to fit a 5-speed rear mech to it, although Ill need to apply some cable guides and clips as it has no braze ons. I've got a 'vintage' machine in the 58 Constellation, so I know the pitfalls of using very period gear on the roads ie a modern setting, and the ensuing drama therein one can experience. Im having GB sidepulls for sure as there are no CP brazings on the frame. Chainwheel will be a nice Williams, if I can find one for a moderate price. Putting some guards on the frame already makes it look more of a bike.

PC037840_zpsgc6kjqhf.jpg

PC037843_zpsgyyleazu.jpg

PC037847_zpscwkoqzv1.jpg

PC037853_zps2rklflct.jpg

PC037854_zpsjpjuixvb.jpg

PC037860_zpsdrnw16xx.jpg

PC037844_zpseqhvmwpf.jpg

PC037845_zpstihjqnv7.jpg

PC037865_zpsmvvzlqzx.jpg

Williams chainwheel added, this actually dates from about 1950...

PC088014_zpsbdtq2gud.jpg

Re:

Been doing a few more jobs on the build. Cleaned the brakes and the chainset and loosely fitted the gears and fittings. One brake has too long a drop, so may well look at 700c wheels for this. Gave the machine an overall wipe down. Still lots of fettling and cleaning to do, but as I have said, Im piecing this together to get a feel how it all hangs... Ordered some very nice Lyotard pedals, some new stays and bolts for the guards. Missed out on some 50s GB Arret levers yesterday though. Sourced some dark blue ribbed cable, so may well go with that. Im looking for a used but not abused Brooks, Lycett or Wrights saddle. The build will have a lot of used patina, but Im pretty sure its going to look period but with a few more modern and practical bits too.

PC178139_zpsknoogufn.jpg

PC178135_zpsk32rjunv.jpg

PC178134_zpskftghtdp.jpg

PC178130_zps4uon9u2y.jpg

PC178121_zpsrtbvlgt9.jpg

PC178119_zpso3vokxqx.jpg

PC178117_zpsjnuwsltx.jpg

Back