1988 Colnago Esa Mexico (New Pics)

larrytx01

Dirt Disciple
I got this bike recently from a gentleman whose father owned it originally. Stayed in a basement for most of the time as his dad got a back injury soon after purchase. The bike is in excellent to almost new condition. The only thing I have done is put a Brooks seat and handlebar tape and replaced the original tires. She rides beautifully and everything is tight as a drum, a real headturner. It also has full Campagnolo Chourus/Record groupset and ITM stem. Any info related to ESA Mexicos would be appreciated as I understand this is a relatively rare bike. Thanks.

Larry

Attachments

• EsaMexico02.jpg
    EsaMexico02.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1,674
  • ColnagoEsaMexico.jpg
    ColnagoEsaMexico.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 1,674
  • EsaMex02.jpg
    EsaMex02.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_20161217_150603.jpg
    IMG_20161217_150603.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,212
Re:

Thanks. This bike has really turned me on to Colnago steel bikes. The ride quality and fit and finish are second to none. I feel real lucky to have been able to purchase such a pristine example. It's like it came out of a time capsule. Since owning this bike, I have now decided to purchase a brand new Colnago Arabesque in Sarroni red and gold leaf lettering. Of course the frame is not the same as the original Arabesque and is based on the current Master series. However, the Arabesque lugs are said to be original production and I will add a vintage seat to keep the look. My goal is to keep as much of the retro aesthetic as possible while using current tech on the groupset and wheels. The bike will be built and ready sometime in the next two months and will post pics as soon as I take delivery. Cheers.

Larry

How do you find the ride? I really enjoy the ride quality of this particular bike. It seems I can go all day and not get too tired. I really would like to compare to a Master to see the difference. I am not sure how much difference the six crimped tubing makes compared to four. Does anyone know why they stopped producing the six crimp design, cost perhaps? It was a relatively short production run. Maybe there wasn't a significant difference between the Master or older Mexicos, not sure.

the esa is listed in the '89 35th anni catalog on my site
ESa was the last incarnation of the Mexico
the Nuovo was the master pre cursor with 4 crimps , ESA may have extra stiffness compared to the two , I have been blessed to have ridden most steel Colnago models

The particular bike has sold me on Colnago steel bikes, so much so, that I am going ahead with the purchase of a new Arabesque (hopefully complete by the end of the month). I am anxious to compare the two when it comes in. Of course, the groupset on the Arabesque will be brand new Potenza 11 speed vs the 8 speed ESA.

the new arabesque is basically a master with arabesque lugs , the original was more akin to the nuovo mexico

"the new arabesque is basically a master with arabesque lugs , the original was more akin to the nuovo mexico"

That is my understanding as well. Between the new Arabesque and the ESA Mexico, I will have all the DNA from the Mexico, Arabesque, Regal and the Master!! LOL>

Back