Ex Michael's Jackson/Raleigh, re-listed

Re: Michael's Non-Jackson

Jackson's will refinish any frame, and don't mind putting their decals on something that's not theirs. Maybe the previous owner bought it as a BJ and never knew different?

Re:

That's entirely plausible Foz, they wouldn't be alone in doing that either. It is a lovely paint job :cool:

Just a shame it's not what I thought it was.

Would like to find exactly what it is before I decide whether to return it or not

Mike

The weight of the frame and forks for the size is pretty light... so certainly not a shabby frame.

Shaun

Midlife":j39v9jkn said:
The weight of the frame and forks for the size is pretty light... so certainly not a shabby frame.

Shaun

As suggested just now by OSK ;) Somewhere between 1982 and 1986 was his thoughts. Not a Gran Course, as they had shot in stays, and mine doesn't.
Possibly some 531 Pro tubing too, not original internal routing and MAYBE pump peg removed. Probably done when re-sprayed.

Need to find some old catalogues. I'll try archives on here Shaun ;) ;)

I'll happily give my two pennth :LOL:
If the serial number is from 1986 it was presumably sold as a full bike.
The SBDU did framesets with SB numbers and Nottingham did full bikes with W numbers.
The over size seat stay caps were the hallmark of high end Raleighs so it's good quality.
Presumably the internal routing was done by Bob Jackson's when it was repainted.
I suspect the chroming might also have been done afterwards, 70's Raleighs had lots of chrome but I haven't seen many examples of mid/late 80's with chrome.
Not sure if the forks are original, have you got any better pictures?

bedraggled":1lzyzuoa said:
I'll happily give my two pennth :LOL:
If the serial number is from 1986 it was presumably sold as a full bike.
The SBDU did framesets with SB numbers and Nottingham did full bikes with W numbers.
The over size seat stay caps were the hallmark of high end Raleighs so it's good quality.
Presumably the internal routing was done by Bob Jackson's when it was repainted.
I suspect the chroming might also have been done afterwards, 70's Raleighs had lots of chrome but I haven't seen many examples of mid/late 80's with chrome.
Not sure if the forks are original, have you got any better pictures?

Thanks for your insight ;)

I'll get some fork pics, now Mrs Muz has gone to bed and I can sneak them in the house! :LOL: :LOL:

Give me a few minutes

Mike

Mike Muz 67":1rc6rgh8 said:
I'll get some fork pics, now Mrs Muz has gone to bed and I can sneak them in the house! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

christ Mike has romance died in your house, or are you all loved up in Retro heaven

Retro Spud":1h54u7om said:
Mike Muz 67":1h54u7om said:

Mike

christ Mike has romance died in your house, or are you all loved up in Retro heaven

No time to speak, I'm about to strip and re-grease a rear hub, before tomorrow's ride

Mike

Back