c1956 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

Re:

Thanks for the replies. I'm undecided at this point. At the moment I'm seeing it as a good parts stash, rather than a oily rag overhaul ... I guess it needs a minor strip down to check on the state of the bearings and bearing surfaces, and see how bad this rot actually is. I think I'm going to be pretty ruthless with this one.

I did pick up a pair of 27x1 1/4 Alumlite wheels for a fiver at the dump a few years ago, which would suit this ...

I am a patina junkie, I love original paint (seach 'Jim Guard' on here) but this just looks like neglect to me. Someone did suggest some sort of acid bath ( I forget the name -oxalic?) which could be a good way to go.

Re:

Being a Patina Junkie myself (check out some of my other bikes) my vote is to just clean up the frame as best you can and then re-fit all the usable bits of kit after giving them a clean and service.

Your BSA looks like a virtually new bike compared to my next project, a 1966 Mercian Superlight, which I probably paid too much for (£150). This is how it looked on Ebay....

Although the listing didn't specify it I could see that it was a top of the line Superlight model with a lot of original equipment so decided to go for it. A quick strip down when it arrived revealed that a lot of the kit attached will clean up ok and although it looks pretty bad, all of the rust on the frame and forks is merely superficial....

Since then I've been able to remove the seat post and the Stronglight Cranks, but the stem is stuck fast so will require cutting out (It has a frame number of 666, so I might have known something would be a devil to remove!). Luckily it is cracked anyway, so I'm not losing a usable piece by cutting it out! The only things I'll need to replace are the Stem, Headset and Wheels.

So as I said, Patina Rules! I look forward to seeing some pics of your BSA back out and on the road!

Steve.

Attachments

• Ebay Pic 1_a.jpg
    Ebay Pic 1_a.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 800
  • Mercian 666 1_a.jpg
    Mercian 666 1_a.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 800
Re:

Steve, that Mercian looks like a good save to me! I have a similar vintage GB handlebar stem kicking around here if you need one. I can't remember how long it is though ... I replaced it as it was too long for me.

Just found this photo of it, it's more modern than I remember!

out with the old ... by Mike, on Flickr

Re: c1952 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

I'm in agreement with most of the others. You've got to give it a go seeing as it's pretty original. Could turn out to be a real peach.
If it turns out the frame is too far gone then ce la vie, but at least you gave it a good shot.

quiet mike":bdg0g2y6 said:
So there it is. Pretty rough, looks like it's spent a fair bit of time out in the open exposed to the elements. Right now I'm not feeling the love for it, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over parting it out, there are some nice components on it that would help get other bikes on the road.
It does seem a shame though as the bike is so original. It hasn't been mucked around with over the years, or crashed and bent. Just several decades of neglect ...

Lordy lordy ... I'd say that baby is half way toward becoming one with the earth elements again!
;)

I've successfully used adhesive vinyl wrap (as used on cars) to do up a frame in similar condition. Just sand down to a smooth surface, degrease and apply the vinyl as per instructions. Even works on "rechroming" forks and rear stays using chrome vinyl and produces an as-new finish for little outlay (under a tenner for the whole frame and forks when I last did it) in any colour you like though I appreciate you may not want a pristine finish on the frame if you're making do with sanding/polishing other items.

Re:

I quick sit rep. I have tentatively started to strip and overhaul the BSA. The brakes are cleaning up OK. Calipers are a little bent but I think straightened out OK. I've not gone to town polishing the alloy just yet.

I've managed to get both the cranks off. Chrome is obviously shot, but they are a fluted BSA set. Quality, once upon a time ... ! The teeth on the chainwheel are worn, but I don't think they are worn out.

Front wheel hub cleaned up OK, spokes are good too. Steel rim is horrible. It's not rusted through, but it's so deep it will chew through brake blocks pretty quick! I do have a set of lovely Alumlite rims I saved from the tip for a fiver. They have rusted out spokes and the hubs are toast, so might be a good idea too brush up on my wheel building!

I've stripped and rebuilt one pedal. It's gnarly and the cage bent. I've straightened it up as much as possible, regreased the bearings, which were actually pretty good.It's a bit rattly but I've ridden worse.

As for the frame, it's nasty! I leave a trail of flakey paint and rust every time I move it ... I've attacked the forks with wire wool so far. They don't look any better. The frame is much worse than the forks ...

So, a little progress. I'll try and get some photos up, but so far it's not been very photogenic!

Back