'79 Claud Butler Majestique mixte......one for the missus

Re: '78 Claud Butler Majestique mixte......one for the missus

Excellent work. I could look through these all day.

Mac2016":1pvhuyys said:
Excellent work. I could look through these all day.

Cheers! I really need to update this thread as the project has moved on a bit since the last entry.....but still isn't finished.

I got hold of a Brooks saddle for it - cheap because it needed some renovation work.

A pic from the ad - the leather had started to flatten out and it was quite dry and cracked.

Dismantled the framework, left to soak in water over night and then chocked it up and let it dry out to reform the leather. I noticed that the tension peg at the front wasn't located properly....maybe because the leather had shrunk back pulling it away - I'm not sure. As soon as the leather was supple enough it went back in place and allowed some tension to be applied to the saddle again - helping to maintain the shape.

Fed it plenty of Dubbin and started to work in some boot polish - aiming for a high shine. Starting to look quite nice - loving the aged look on it. The missus is not so sure I fear. I may be using this saddle on a different bike in the future.......... ;)

Blimey.....been a while since I've played with the Claud Butler!

Dug it out of the shed over the weekend with the intention of finishing it off with a view to sell.

Finished it off last night - new chain, Suntour VX front and rear derailleurs, cabled up and rode it in to work this morning.

Aside from a rubbing mudguard and a cable pulling through on the front derailleur (both easily fixed).....it made for a nice quiet smooth comfortable ride along the seafront this morning.

Could do with a final clean and polish but overall it's a lovely light sit-up-and-beg cruiser.

yPQHm3ll.jpg

1Lipw4Cl.jpg

Attachments

• 6 figure snip.JPG
    6 figure snip.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Sella Italia Anatomic.jpg
    Sella Italia Anatomic.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 292
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

016364 - suggesting actually it's a 1979......my birth year which is a nice coincidence.

Thanks for the heads up on the saddle - I've no real idea on what was original fitment on the bike component-wise. I've guessed at Suntour VX derailleurs and I've gone for stem mounted Suntour shifters.......I assume there is a catalogue for the '79 range, but I've struggled to find it.

I don't think much changed between the late 1970's an early 80's on these, here are some snips from the '80, '81 and '82 cats...

Attachments

• 82Specs - Copy.jpg
    82Specs - Copy.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 82Majestique.jpg
    82Majestique.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 2108_001 - Copy.jpg
    2108_001 - Copy.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 272
  • p42_43 - Copy.jpg
    p42_43 - Copy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 272

Ahh.....thanks for those Peachy! I'd seen the catalogue entry for the '82 model before but not the others.

Interesting that the Majestique came in 2x frame sizes. Just measured mine and it's the larger of the two at 22" which might explain why the missus finds it a little on the large size (ooo matron!).......which is the whole reason it went back in the shed in the first place. Shame......cos I really wanna keep it.

No worries, glad to help.
Yes the frame geometry is a little more racy I think than the average mixtie rather than laid back...I have tried to persuade my daughter to run hers (in signature below) with drops, but she complained they were “too far away” so the swept back cruiser style bars went back on...

Yeah, I'd spotted your Majestique build - looks great! Especially like what you've done with the basket and I reckon it'd set my bike off a treat....might look into doing something similar.

That said - I'd prefer to be running it with drops (and I've got all the bits to convert over).......but I think the swept back bars/basket combo would be preferable and more desirable if I do decide to sell it.

Just followed you on Instagram......turns out a search for #claudbutler turns up quite a few of your pics! :LOL:

Back