My Holdsworth Super Mistral - finished

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
Bit of a mongrel collection of components, stuff I had left and some choices to make about what worked and what didn't work. Wanted 700c wheels, but it's a 27" fork clearance, so the deep drop brake callipers are a compromise although they are brilliant stoppers. Since it was never going to be a period correct build I didn't mind the Shimano Claris derailleurs either since I couldn't get the Campag stuff to work with 8 speed SIS shifters. All in all though, it really flies and braking and shifting is smooth as butter.

Attachments

• Holdsworth Super Mistral 2.jpg
    Holdsworth Super Mistral 2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Holdsworth Super Mistral 3.jpg
    Holdsworth Super Mistral 3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,503
  • Holdsworth Super Mistral 12.jpg
    Holdsworth Super Mistral 12.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,503
  • Holdsworth Super Mistral 15.jpg
    Holdsworth Super Mistral 15.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Holdsworth Super Mistral 17.jpg
    Holdsworth Super Mistral 17.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,494
That looks nice - and I like the practicality of having some more modern stuff on it.

I have a part built one hanging on the wall in my garage which will eventually get done. Annoyingly, I can't seem to find a seat bolt which will close up tight enough to secure the post. Bought the shortest one SJS had and it isn't enough. Are you using a 26.8 post?

Now that looks really nice :). Maybe move the rear wheel a bit further forward in the dropout, but that's a bit picky : D

Shaun

By the way if you send me your serial number (under the bottom bracket) I can date it for you, if you haven't already! :)

That's a nice looking Super. I'm building one myself (track frame 1964) but am missing the original head badge. Does anyone have one, as I don't fancy the modern reproduction. Also thinking of painting the head tube too, mines is champagne gold, what thoughts on colour of head tube? I'm thinking maybe a Holdsworth blue or white...

Latest posts

Back