Brian Rourke build - inputs pls to help me decide on spec

velocipede

Senior Retro Guru
I'm about to embark on a build of a Brian Rourke frame - it's an early 2000's frame with a Record 1" aheadset and carbon forks.

I've got two spec choices:

1. Dura Ace 7800 sti's and brakes, 10 speed Tiagra mechs and chainset

2. Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters, Dia Compe old style brake levers (cables out of the top) with NOS gum hoods, Dura Ace 9 spd rear mech, Dura Ace 7800 brakes, Tiagra chainset

Not sure which way to go with it……here's a pic as the old owner had it built

tU6Y8dr.jpg

I agree with him. That paint job and that chorus gruppo go beautifully together.

of the options you've suggested though i'd go for the 10 Speed DA stuff and look to upgrade the chainset to a more aesthetically pleasing one in short order.

Re:

Chorus does look good. I have it on my red Rourkie. Of your choices though, I'd do the retro one

Re:

I would say go with the 7800.
I'd say it's a bit too black at the moment - the silver will shine through nicely. okay the tiagra chainset doesn't look quite as good as the 7800, but with a bit of polishing it would do the trick.
Plus 7800 with STIs will be so much more rideable than the 9spd downtube levers.
Also, would old-style levers work with a new caliper? I tried some unbranded loopy cable levers with the new 105 caliper, and braking was almost non-existent.

now has a new seat post and saddle, along with an Easton carbon stem……and is still for sale if anyone is interested bro[ me a pm

Back