Mikes' Cougar : Finished, and first ride

Re: Cougar on the loose! 5th Febuary

kingbling":2xeyc8fx said:
I do and that equates to a LOT of polishing I will check the length when I get back on wednesday I think they're 172.5s

Looking for 180s I'm afraid matey ;)

The History Man":h06iylib said:
And a bigger loft?

A bigger house! :LOL:

I'm guessing a cellar would be a bad place to keep bikes, rust being the issue

Mike

Re:

Hi retro folk ;)

Managed to get some more done to this build this weekend.
Got a pair of Dura Ace 7700 sti levers quite cheap. The caps are a bit tatty, as were the inner levers before I polished them. Before and after shots,

New caps are safely tucked away, and will be the very last things to go on.

Also, I robbed the 180s from my Jackson ( replaced with Ultegra ) and washed them.

The photo reminds me that I need to polish them up a bit, not a full Muz polish back to the metal as it would take the Dura Ace logo off, just to get rid of the marks.
The rings were very kindly donated to me from a fellow retrohead.
Thanks very much Dan ;)
New chainring bolts are here too :cool:

The calipers were robbed off my Trek (also replaced with Ultegra )

Apologies for out of focus picture :oops:

Robbed ( there's a pattern emerging here ! ) from my Bianchi, are the wheels. ( Another pair on the way for the Bianchi, 6400 hubs on Campag Omega rims, making a full groupset minus the seatpost).
Can't run to Dura Ace hubs, so these are Ultegra 6500 laced to Mavic Open Pro rims. Regreased, and with a new Sram 12-23 cassette.

Also pictured is the rear mech with new Tacx jockey wheels, and a q/r skewer that needs cutting down :roll: :facepalm: Oops! :LOL: :LOL:

So here it is now as it stands.

Now waiting for bottom bracket, tyres, cables and bar tape to arrive, from various parts of the globe :roll:

No idea what bottle cages to get, Elite Ciussi, one orange and one blue ?

Also undecided on which pedals. Spd Sl maybe

Can't wait to ride it ! :cool:

Mike

Looking good Mike the Ciussi's are nice bottle cages didn't know you can get them in different colours though. Nice bit of polishing going on there what is it with these caps they don't seem to fair to well do they, hope the rest of your parts are sped on their way before next weekend to carry on the build. :D

Re: Re:

LDP":1pbnedw4 said:
Looks great but how long are your legs? ;)

Outside or medial? :LOL: :LOL:
NeilM":1pbnedw4 said:
LDP":1pbnedw4 said:
Looks great but how long are your legs? ;)
Not sure you're allowed to ask question like that in public.

Heck of a stem Mike.... Phnar!

You know me Neil, I like a bit of length :shock:

kingbling":1pbnedw4 said:
Looking good Mike the Ciussi's are nice bottle cages didn't know you can get them in different colours though. Nice bit of polishing going on there what is it with these caps they don't seem to fair to well do they, hope the rest of your parts are sped on their way before next weekend to carry on the build. :D

Cheers KB ;)

I know they are finished in celeste, but that would be too much on the Bianchi, so silver on that.
I think they come in orange, but not too sure. Looking on eBay, see what I can find. I have an old white Elite one, but a bit too old and scruffy.

Possibly like me :oops:

Mike

Re:

Got a couple more bits this week.

Firstly, an NOS bottom bracket,

Really light, so much so, I had to weigh it to see just how light :facepalm: :oops: 176g !
A lovely bit of engineering, just a shame you can't see it! Thankfully , despite the instructions saying I needed a special Shimano tool for the locknut -yes it has one of those old-fangled things ! - I found my 25 year old Tacx tool fitted it ok. Sigh of relief !

Secondly, some bar tape that looks to be ideal in colour, and also happens to be my favourite bar tape too :cool:

Unbelievably hard to get hold of, especially in this colour.
Evans do black or white, LBS does Fizik leather look tape, other LBS, Bontrager, another LBS, £31 washing machine compatible AND reversible :facepalm:

In the end I had to order it from Halfords and picked it up tonight on the way home.

Now I just need to decide which pedals I want. Don't like the Dura Ace 7700s. Or should I say, the shoe plates

Any ideas out there?

Mike

Re:

The plain black look Keo Max. Work well and don't stick out like a dogs dinner on something retro.

As an aside, my Concorde has a similar carbon weave effect paint. Super :cool:

Latest posts

Back