Late 80's Dave Marsh build

gairym

Retro Newbie
Ok, so I've gone and bought an old (late 80's I believe) Dave Marsh road frame and forks and I plan on a lovely long restoration project (as I've not got enough to do or spend money on - ha!).

Below you see the frame/forks (wheels were not included) as I bought them:

10881531_10153589821265656_136495214675440962_n.jpg

It seems to be in reasonable condition but needs the paint to be fully stripped, repaired where needed and then re-sprayed etc...

I don't suppose there exists a thread or threads on the best products/techniques to use to get an old frame back into tip-top conditions prior to a re-spray is there?

That should keep me going for a while but I'm already starting to keep an eye out for components.

I was thinking similar era Campag 'Athena' kit throughout all cleaned up and chrome-tastic.

Below you can see the cranks I bought a couple of months ago:

11109185_10153883989885656_5089416013979990344_n.jpg

I'm very much open to advice and ideas with regards to what I should/could do and how I should go about it as this is my first restoration project and I want to create something a little bit special by the time I'm done.

Another thing that's going to be an issue before too long is colour choice for the re-spray.

Dave Marsh had some.....errr.....shall we say 'interesting' paint jobs not all of which dated well and so I've been looking around for original Dave Marsh paint jobs that look beautiful and classic and yet are honest and in keeping with what he did at that time - any thoughts or ideas on this welcomed too.

Ok, that should do it for now.

I'll bombard you all with many questions as the months go on I've no doubt.

Cheers and thanks for having me, Gairy.

Probably the best bet is to read other threads and see what folk have done themselves, both in the road and the pre 97 mtb sections. I'm not sure what you mean about preparing a frame as generally if it's getting a full respray it would be blasted just before. That should sort out any cosmetic issues with paint and surface rust. If it needs repaired that is a different matter and advice would depend on the problem.

If you want some good examples of what can be done then check out these threads.

clicky

clicky

clicky

clicky

These are just a handful of the top resto jobs on the site.
As for the paint. I love 80's paint jobs so I would go for one that screams of the era! :LOL:

Thanks for that, I'd come across that thread a while back and couldn't find it again since buying the frameset.

Also, damn you for producing such a stunning looking thing of beauty - the bar is set pretty bloody high.

I've chatted with Dave a few times over the years since I moved away from Maltby (he repaired an 853 mtb frame a few years ago) and he certainly knows his stuff.

Might give him a call about the paint job as I doubt anyone I'll find around here will yield the results he'll get.

Cheers, Gairy.

Back