1962 Rory O Brien finished!!

Boscarn

rBotM Winner
Here is the finished Rory O Brien, the frame dates from 1962, the frame and forks have a serial number 6281, which tallies with the original owner memory of buying the frame from the Manor Park shop in 1962. I know that several frame builders were used by Rory in that era, namely Vic Edwards, Les Ephgrave and Wally Green, if anyone can identify the builder please let me know.

The frame has been finished in Black with Burgundy headstock and rings on the down tube, I have done the lug lining myself, the decals were from World Decals and a final coat of 2K lacquer applied.
The running gear is 1970’s Shimano 600 arabesque, I have had to make a rear brake dropper, but the brakes will now fit both 27” and 700c wheels. I am using 27” Weinmann rims and some 27 x 1 1/8” Panaracer tyres.

The old Brooks Pro saddle site on a Selle San Marco G.S. Special seatpost and the bars and stem are both GB.

Attachments

• ROB24.jpg
    ROB24.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,399
  • ROB12.jpg
    ROB12.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,398
  • ROB7.jpg
    ROB7.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,397
  • ROB11.jpg
    ROB11.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,394
  • ROB8.jpg
    ROB8.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,397
  • ROB13.jpg
    ROB13.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 1,396
Those lugs are stunning and the refinish was exceptional. Not keen on Shimano 600, that frame deserves a period correct build for sure. But I guess the newer parts will make it a more efficient rider.

Steven

Re:

Thank you all for the favourable comments.
The bar tape is Charge U bend 45, it is very nice to apply and offers good grip and comfort. I would have liked to fit the original Charge U bend tape as it looks even better, but is not available any more!
I have thought long and hard about fitting the Arabesque running gear, it was sitting in a box and thought I would give it a try. I am please with the results and it works faultlessly. I have some Nuovo Record gears, but the biggest problem would be finding Campag brakes with a suitable drop.

Re:

But the tops of your top-eyes are hiding behind the brake cable. 'Full wraparound', or 'Bering Straits'? I reckon 'Bering Straits'.

You've sure got the feel for the lug-lining/top-eye decoration. Looks like you've been doing it forever- in a good way, if you see what I mean?

but the biggest problem would be finding Campag brakes with a suitable drop.
Well, Campag. brakes didn't exist in 1962 anyway. Neither did groupsets. If it comes to it, go (stop) with Universal, or Mafac?

Back