Wanted Racer .

The Guvnor

Retro Newbie
Hi i am looking for an old racer for my daughter.Preferably Peugeot or Raleigh.
54/60 cm frame size.
She has around £50 to spend anything considered.
London or surrey area.
Thanks Paul.

There's a big difference between a 54cm & 60cm frame. Is she very tall as a 60cm would generally be for 5ft 10 & over?

tonyf39":2sjgne8g said:
There's a big difference between a 54cm & 60cm frame. Is she very tall as a 60cm would generally be for 5ft 10 & over?
she is only 15 years old and is about 5ft 8/5ft 9 .She rides my 60cm trek no problem and my sons 60cm fuji.

Are they compact frames by any chance? With a sloping toptube? If they are, and it's measured c-t, then she might have standover but the TT will be too long probably. I'm 5'11" and I dont have comfortable standover on a traditional 58 let alone a 60.

Yojimbo":2duxvxjt said:
Are they compact frames by any chance? With a sloping toptube? If they are, and it's measured c-t, then she might have standover but the TT will be too long probably. I'm 5'11" and I dont have comfortable standover on a traditional 58 let alone a 60.
No they are standard frames not slopping top tubes .She must have long legs. Shes still growing as well.

You need to measure again - I'd say that someone who should be on a 54 can't ride a 60 - and vice versa. Crank length would normally differ too - so she's risking leg and knee damage on the wrong size.

With the height you say I'd suggest a 54cm is probably right - but if she's long-legged as you say, a WSD frame (women specific) would be a much better fit as she'll find normal frames too long for comfort.

I have a Raleigh Medale in a 58 that I can do within your budget.
I can do some pics but you will have to wait until tomorrow evening if you are interested :)

Cheers

Back