WTD 1" quill stem, KARMA Half-broken Reynolds two-piece

lae

Retro Guru
Hi all

I recently bought a 1950 Claud Butler with a two-piece Reynolds stem. Basically there's an aluminium stem, like a seatpost, with a separate aluminium piece that holds the handlebars that clamps down on top, with a long bolt passing through both pieces and threading into a wedge inside the steerer tube. The stem and the top part have holes in them that line up, I suppose to put a bolt through them, but it was missing when I got the bike. A bit like a modern A-Head system but the stem part is adjustable for height.

Unfortunately the wedge got stuck inside the steerer at a funny angle, so I couldn't screw the bolt into it. I knocked it out with a small bit of pipe and this damaged the threads. Worse still, the stem part was stuck in the fork steerer (and I tried everything, really), so I sawed the end off, filed a couple of slots in it and knocked it out.

So, if anyone wants it, you can have it. The top part is fine, you can have the remains of the stem (an engineering company could make one up for you - just a piece of aluminium pipe with a slightly tapering end machined on it) and the wedge and long bolt (they would need the threads repairing). I just want cost of postage for it, or pick up from York.

~~~

Coincidentally I also now need a quill stem. Preferably something to suit a 1950s club bike, but any quill stem would do really. And preferably cheap too! I don't mind the aesthetic condition of it, so long as it's useable. I'm certain it's 1" headset and 1" clamp but I'll check

Hi,
I'll swap you for a GB spearpoint stem if you like?
Not mint(A few insertion scratchs on the stem )
But should polish up nicly
90mm I think.I'll stick a pic up tommorow if you like.
cheers

Back