FS: Whitcomb road bike 55cm

makhno68

Dirt Disciple
My Whitcomb road bike is up for sale after an Ebay time waster (I don't think I will bother with Ebay anymore, time wasters and 20% fees are pretty annoying!)

Not to be confused with the ex-London, now Wales based, Witcomb cycles. Billy Whitcomb apprenticed under Harry Quinn, worked for the Soens, and was well known on the Liverpool cycling scene. He has an excellent reputation, but frequently produced frames under others names. As for the number of frames he has produced under his own name, I am not sure. But you will be hard pushed to find more than four photographed examples of his work by searching the internet. This bike's components would suggest mid 80s age, but the brake callipers require hex nut secuering, which might mean it is slightly older than that. Regardless, if you want to research it further, the frame number is: BW16184.

The frame is 21.5" top tube centre to centre, and 22" seat tube centre to top. It takes a 27.2mm seat post, and is threaded for English bottom brackets. There are no tubing stickers on the frame, however it is a very light frame for steel. I would assume it was Reynolds, possibly even 753, but obviously that is just a guess.

The frame has Campagnolo dropouts and rear drop out adjusters. The elegently curved forks are chrome and have a flat fork crown. The frame has a lusterous silver paint job, with white panelling, black lettering, and white lug lining.

Mostly Shimano 600EX groupset, including the brake calipers, headset (will come with a Shimano Dura-Ace EX headset spanner, as the locknuts are not a standard shape, and have a number of concave cutouts), front (clamp on) and rear derailleurs, and 6 speed freewheel.

Assos bottom bracket, Assos chainset (170mm length) and Assos 52 and 42 teeth rings, a very rare bit of kit. Down tube shifters are Simplex retrofriction. Cinelli 1R stem (11cm length) and Cinelli Giro D'Italia handlebars (64-40), with internal cable routing, brake levers are Aero Dia-Compe.

Wolber Profil 20 tubular rims, 32 spokes to Mavic 500 hubs. Good condtion Vittoria Corsa KX tubs fitted.

White Selle San Marco Rolls saddle (tear on one side) on a Campagnolo aero seat pin, 27.2mm

Union pedals, scruffy Strumey Archer clips and Christophe straps.

It is in good condition for it's age with the odd mark on the paint, one area on the top end of the drive side seat stay with some surface rust due to the paint being scratched off. And a small dent in the middle of the top tube, on the drive side (fell onto a fence, about 7mm length, 2mm width, 1mm deep). The wheels are both require a bit of a true to get them perfect, as they have a couple millimeters of lateral deviation. The brake cable on the top tube has been split a bit in transit, so ideally would need replacing). Otherwise it is a lovely bike, a rare frame, with some rare kit on it.

Looking for 250 posted.

looks like a proper bike should do.
Bill used to build my bikes for me at Harry Quinns and later from home in Liverpool.
sorry to say it will not be 753 as you could not chrome 753 if my memory is correct

whitcomb

'orbeas', please take this in the spirit it's offered to both you and 'makhno68'.
This looks like a real quality frame so it's just as likely to be 753 as not....without seeing wall thickness or joint soldering we couldn't possibly know. Also, it would be entirely normal to have a 753 main frame with 531, 701 etc forks - far less usual to have 753 throughout as my Dolan-built Cougar 753 is.
It can be chromed......but anyone less than top-notch preferred not to. Mine has chromed drop-outs, head tube lugs and seat tube lug and Paul Hewitt would have added more [fork crown and BB shell] if my wallet could have stood it! ;)
First generation 753 tubesets [team Raleigh mid '70's] were extremely thin so the risk was deemed too high to mess with them.
Hope this helps.

dont think in the 80,s any frames in 753 were chrome plated as this was not recommended bu reynolds.
the best guy to ask is neil orrell who apart from being a top builder and 753 appreoved is a metaligist of some repute
donr forget bill whitcomb built my frames for me and would not chrome 753.

Back