This is a very reluctant sale but having purchased another classic tourer(AND a Principia racing bike
) this is just sitting around taking up space.
I've used this for light touring around France & leisure days out, supremely comfortable and capable of big miles easily.
A little history, the frame was purchased from a gentleman near Nottingham and he'd had it resprayed and enamelled in racing green at some point in his ownership, there are no badges or stickers to certify the frame material but confident it is Reynolds 531 & the wrapover seat-stays are very very nice as is the lugwork. The frame number is E6007 which is embossed on the underside of the BB shell. It was originally fitted with a Williams chainset (dated 1963).
The dropouts are Zeus, lugs are nervex, I asked the owner of a Carlton dedicated website(http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk
) what it was he thought it was and he replied it was built somewhere between 1958-60 & possibly a Super Python. I do not have any evidence to support this so please assess on what you can see. Whilst the parts are not period I think the selection make for an easy ride.
Seat tube is 60cm c-c (60.5c-t), 57cm c-c top tube. rear spread is 130mm. Takes a 27.2mm seatpost and the picture below sees the overal bike weight including pump and bag at circa 11kg.
It's been resprayed and enamelled in racing green at some point in his ownership, there are some marks here and there but nothing of note and certainly no rust at all. There are no badges or stickers to certify the frame material or model but confident it is Reynolds 531 double butted & the wrapover seat-stays are very nice as is the nervex pro lugwork. The frame number is E6007 which is embossed on the underside of the BB shell. It was originally fitted with a Williams chainset (dated 1963).
The dropouts are Zeus, I asked the owner of a Carlton dedicated website( http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk
) what it was he thought it was and he replied it was built somewhere between 1958-60 & possibly a Super Python. I do not have any evidence to support this so please assess on what you can see.
Please note the bike does not have the same stem/seatpost or Brake levers as the photo (details below)
The rest of the spec is:
- 27" Weinmann rims with lovely Sansin(Sunshine) hubs, these are virtually unused and spin very nicely indeed, Michelin Select tyres are old stock and have seen the road once, still have the rubber left over from the moulding. I have had 700C wheels on this but you'll need an extra long drop caliper (I have a set of nice Weinman Vainquer centre pulls I can swap for the dual pivots)
5 speed 13-24 Regina Corsa freewheel in mint condition.
- Rear Golden Arrow long cage, bought as NOS & used for 200 miles some very minor scratches. Front is Dura Ace band on 7410 again bought NOS and used for 200 miles & is mint condition and comes with original box & instructions, it has a 15 tooth stated capacity & I used it with a 36f/26r with ease.
- Red S right hand crank with 86mm bcd, stronglight 48/36 chainrings, the 48 has just been replaced with an almost unused one so is much better than the one in the photo. Right hand crank is Stronglight. Stronglight alloy dust caps both sides.
I bought this NOS and has done 200 miles. Boxed as a Nervar with titanium
axle it has cartridge bearings & is pretty light at 240g/118mm length. BTW both sides have Octagonal sided cups which is as it came to me.
- Shimano HG93 used for 200 miles on this bike only and comes with KMC powerlink connectors
As new Olimpic XXI platform pedals, used for about 30 miles, the Christophe toe-clips ae length adjustable and the white leather straps are also NOS with same mileage as the pedals. If you dont want the pedals then I've got some new double sided spd's you can have instead(with new cleats)
- band on Suntour retro-friction, lovely to use they change any amount of gears, (I did have 8 speed sti's but were a pain with the Golden Arrow rear d) There is a very nice down-tube fitted Shimano gear cable guide, I thought it was in keeping though there is a underside BB standard variant fitted also.
I really don't know anything about it but is very nice looking, polished stainless steel and is all good, I think I cleaned & regreased or replaced the bearings, either way it works just fine.
ITM quill in 70mm or something longer if required.
- ITM Super Europa, 44cm wide, very nice bar, light but strong, bar tape is as new Deda, real quality stuff.
- Shimano Dura Ace Aero SLR, Couple of scrapes on one lever.
Rear is brand new Tiagra long drop with screw fitment, front is also Tiagra long drop & is 200 miles old and is AK fitment
Saddle & Seatpost
- Velo, very comfortable, bought as NOS with a few storage marks, no tears/scuffs etc to the material. Seat post is a brand new ITM branded as a Thorn
– There’s a lovely stainless steel chainstay protector made by Zeda, the top tube brake cable clips are also stainless steel and in perfect condition, outer cables were all NOS and have been used for 200miles, I have the extra outer cable lengths(in white) if you wish to fit sti's. I’ve got a NOS clamp on down tube cable stop which will make that possible that can be had for an extra £4. Included is a brand new set of Nimrod seat-stay P-clips so you can fit a pannier rack.
Lastly there is a very nice seatpost fitting bag which I bought NOS and has new black leather straps (Original white plastic ones included) which is great for putting tools and sarnies in
, an AFA pump which fits in nicely on the seat-tube via the pump pegs and very finally a NOS frame fitting bottle cage clamps & NOS bottle cage. I can include a pair of excellent narrow mudguards
I'm looking for £570 for the whole thing or £275 frame & forks only