Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 pm 
Retro Guru

This is a very reluctant sale but having purchased another classic tourer(AND a Principia racing bike :D ) this is just sitting around taking up space.
I've used this for light touring around France & leisure days out, supremely comfortable and capable of big miles easily.

A little history, the frame was purchased from a gentleman near Nottingham and he'd had it resprayed and enamelled in racing green at some point in his ownership, there are no badges or stickers to certify the frame material but confident it is Reynolds 531 & the wrapover seat-stays are very very nice as is the lugwork. The frame number is E6007 which is embossed on the underside of the BB shell. It was originally fitted with a Williams chainset (dated 1963).
The dropouts are Zeus, lugs are nervex, I asked the owner of a Carlton dedicated website(http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk) what it was he thought it was and he replied it was built somewhere between 1958-60 & possibly a Super Python. I do not have any evidence to support this so please assess on what you can see. Whilst the parts are not period I think the selection make for an easy ride.

Seat tube is 60cm c-c (60.5c-t), 57cm c-c top tube. rear spread is 130mm. Takes a 27.2mm seatpost and the picture below sees the overal bike weight including pump and bag at circa 11kg.

It's been resprayed and enamelled in racing green at some point in his ownership, there are some marks here and there but nothing of note and certainly no rust at all. There are no badges or stickers to certify the frame material or model but confident it is Reynolds 531 double butted & the wrapover seat-stays are very nice as is the nervex pro lugwork. The frame number is E6007 which is embossed on the underside of the BB shell. It was originally fitted with a Williams chainset (dated 1963).
The dropouts are Zeus, I asked the owner of a Carlton dedicated website( http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk) what it was he thought it was and he replied it was built somewhere between 1958-60 & possibly a Super Python. I do not have any evidence to support this so please assess on what you can see.

Please note the bike does not have the same stem/seatpost or Brake levers as the photo (details below)
The rest of the spec is:
Wheels - 27" Weinmann rims with lovely Sansin(Sunshine) hubs, these are virtually unused and spin very nicely indeed, Michelin Select tyres are old stock and have seen the road once, still have the rubber left over from the moulding. I have had 700C wheels on this but you'll need an extra long drop caliper (I have a set of nice Weinman Vainquer centre pulls I can swap for the dual pivots)
5 speed 13-24 Regina Corsa freewheel in mint condition.
Derailluers - Rear Golden Arrow long cage, bought as NOS & used for 200 miles some very minor scratches. Front is Dura Ace band on 7410 again bought NOS and used for 200 miles & is mint condition and comes with original box & instructions, it has a 15 tooth stated capacity & I used it with a 36f/26r with ease.
Chainset - Red S right hand crank with 86mm bcd, stronglight 48/36 chainrings, the 48 has just been replaced with an almost unused one so is much better than the one in the photo. Right hand crank is Stronglight. Stronglight alloy dust caps both sides.
Bottom Bracket I bought this NOS and has done 200 miles. Boxed as a Nervar with titanium axle it has cartridge bearings & is pretty light at 240g/118mm length. BTW both sides have Octagonal sided cups which is as it came to me.
Chain - Shimano HG93 used for 200 miles on this bike only and comes with KMC powerlink connectors
Pedals As new Olimpic XXI platform pedals, used for about 30 miles, the Christophe toe-clips ae length adjustable and the white leather straps are also NOS with same mileage as the pedals. If you dont want the pedals then I've got some new double sided spd's you can have instead(with new cleats)
shifters - band on Suntour retro-friction, lovely to use they change any amount of gears, (I did have 8 speed sti's but were a pain with the Golden Arrow rear d) There is a very nice down-tube fitted Shimano gear cable guide, I thought it was in keeping though there is a underside BB standard variant fitted also.
Headset I really don't know anything about it but is very nice looking, polished stainless steel and is all good, I think I cleaned & regreased or replaced the bearings, either way it works just fine.
stem ITM quill in 70mm or something longer if required.
Bars - ITM Super Europa, 44cm wide, very nice bar, light but strong, bar tape is as new Deda, real quality stuff.
Brake Levers - Shimano Dura Ace Aero SLR, Couple of scrapes on one lever.
Brake Calipers. Rear is brand new Tiagra long drop with screw fitment, front is also Tiagra long drop & is 200 miles old and is AK fitment
Saddle & Seatpost - Velo, very comfortable, bought as NOS with a few storage marks, no tears/scuffs etc to the material. Seat post is a brand new ITM branded as a Thorn
Miscellaneous – There’s a lovely stainless steel chainstay protector made by Zeda, the top tube brake cable clips are also stainless steel and in perfect condition, outer cables were all NOS and have been used for 200miles, I have the extra outer cable lengths(in white) if you wish to fit sti's. I’ve got a NOS clamp on down tube cable stop which will make that possible that can be had for an extra £4. Included is a brand new set of Nimrod seat-stay P-clips so you can fit a pannier rack.
Lastly there is a very nice seatpost fitting bag which I bought NOS and has new black leather straps (Original white plastic ones included) which is great for putting tools and sarnies in :), an AFA pump which fits in nicely on the seat-tube via the pump pegs and very finally a NOS frame fitting bottle cage clamps & NOS bottle cage. I can include a pair of excellent narrow mudguards
I'm looking for £570 for the whole thing or £275 frame & forks only

Last edited by tonyf39 on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:32 am, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice bike I doubt you will get 600 for it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:12 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Love the colour and very nice looking build! Rather optimistic price though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Loverly!! Get her outa the rain, quick :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Gregorio wrote:
Love the colour and very nice looking build! Rather optimistic price though.

Really? For what you would pay for the components/wheels/bag etc in the condition they're in that would give an approximate frame/fork/headset price of £150, I don't think it is too unrealistic a price to be honest.
However if you think it's not worth my asking price what would be a realistic price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:32 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

to give you an idea, my Carlton 531 tubed Catalina sold for about £175 about 2 years ago, 100% original

Attachments:
carlton catalina.jpg
carlton catalina.jpg [ 110.65 KiB | Viewed 3209 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

That's original! :shock: OP's is much nicer!

Tel enters wannabe mod mode! The rules state:

- Keep commentary on pricing to a minimum - the value of retro parts is very subjective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:14 pm 
Retro Guru

And have this not quite finished yet NOS Carlton pro with full campagnolo record groupset including hubs,frame has never been ridden and is being built at the moment and i think I would be lucky to get 600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

And I think you'd be hard done by if you didn't! Beautiful :D :shock: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers Tel
Won't be for sale by the way just a guide to show whats out there,the groupset is not new but very good condition the wheels are new italian clincher rims on large flange record hubs,and the brooks is near mint pro also very shiny GB stem and bars as the original.